horhif

Engine System Failure - Not starting

Recommended Posts

Hi

I've a 2006 Ford Focus 1.8 diesel.  Today on way to work it went into limp mode, then stopped.....and the engine won't start again.

I've the "System Engine Failure" and red light on dash, and also oil and battery light on.....when ignition is on.  See photo

On Forscan, nothing stands out but this error:

DTC's in PCM: U0073-F1, U0140-E1, U0001-E1, U0155-E1, P0571-61, P1936-71, U2197-F1, U0131-E1, P1622-71

But these all seem like communication errors.

Anyone any advice to even get engine on so i can get it to the garage?

I read that disconnecting battery for a while might clear the codes and allow me to start engine and get to garage?

 

thanks!!

IMG_6607.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

have you tried fitting a new battery, just incase your current one has come to the end of it`s life 😯

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sure I have seen it mentioned many times on this forum about this type of stuff being caused by dodgy soldering in the circuit board within the speedo console (which incorporates the car's computer brain).

 

but I think I have seen another tutorial where it showed other soldering that entailed much dismantling of the console

 

but I would try to verify it is faulty instrument cluster first (not sure how)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

had one at work do the same last week , gave the cluster a thump and it worked temporary again.  didnt want to spend the money getting it fixed properly so i sprayed the circuit board with a light spray of wd40 , yes a bodge but it did work. lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/12/2018 at 2:33 PM, horhif said:

I've the "System Engine Failure" and red light on dash, and also oil and battery light on.....when ignition is on.  See photo

On Forscan, nothing stands out but this error:

DTC's in PCM: U0073-F1, U0140-E1, U0001-E1, U0155-E1, P0571-61, P1936-71, U2197-F1, U0131-E1, P1622-71

But these all seem like communication errors.

Anyone any advice to even get engine on so i can get it to the garage?

Every single bit of it points to the Cluster failure. Right year (2006), right error codes, right symptoms. The immobiliser LED may be flashing quickly.

A dealer will charge £800 or more for a new cluster. Some places will repair it for about £100 - £200. It probably just needs re-soldering on the main connector on the cluster pcb, that can be done for free.

My list of PCM codes for this fault in 2016 on my car, was:

(WARN) [16:35:48.622] DTCs in PCM: U0073-E1, U2197-61, P0571-61, P1260-61, U0121-E1, U0140-E1, U0001-E1, U0155-F1, U0131-F1.

Spooky, or what!

For my fix, see: https://www.fordownersclub.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=40491

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2018 at 5:11 PM, andypsp said:

have you tried fitting a new battery, just incase your current one has come to the end of it`s life 😯

not yet.  i got the car towed to garage but will see what mechanic says and update you guys,

thanks for replying!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2018 at 7:34 PM, isetta said:

I am sure I have seen it mentioned many times on this forum about this type of stuff being caused by dodgy soldering in the circuit board within the speedo console (which incorporates the car's computer brain).

 

but I think I have seen another tutorial where it showed other soldering that entailed much dismantling of the console

 

but I would try to verify it is faulty instrument cluster first (not sure how)

mechanic looking at it tomorrow so will update when i know more.

 

thanks for replying!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now