Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus mk2 handbrake

Forward

Hi guys sorry if this is in the wrong section etc as this is the first time I've posted as I'm pretty stumped on how to overcome the problem without leaving myself stuck lol, I have a cheap aftermarket handle I want to fit to my car as the button had broke anyway. If I sliced this old thing off is it physically possible to put the new one on after?

15381363747396478458790343661020.jpg

I've never done it on a Focus but rubber/plastic handbrakes on some cars pull straight off, heat it up first and then see if it slides off with a bit of a twisting action as well.  No damage if you can do that.

To remove the original grip you need to cut along the top and remove it that way. (Dremel or stanley knife with care).
The original is held in place with large notches that grip into cut-outs on the metal inner part.
Changed one on a mk2 Focus for an original alloy one like this-
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273082418551

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

Ok thanks guys, I was worried that the plastic/rubber "grip" was somehow part of the mechanism, I'm going to slowly cut away at it then and hopefully it won't suddenly go ping and my handbrake wont work anymore xD has anyone got a picture of what it looks like without the grip still on? Something like that will definitely ease my mind before some hacking done 🙂

2 hours ago, Forward said:

Ok thanks guys, I was worried that the plastic/rubber "grip" was somehow part of the mechanism, I'm going to slowly cut away at it then and hopefully it won't suddenly go ping and my handbrake wont work anymore xD has anyone got a picture of what it looks like without the grip still on? Something like that will definitely ease my mind before some hacking done 🙂

just put a piece of wood to the back of it and hit it with the hamer and it will push off

Ok thanks guys, I was worried that the plastic/rubber "grip" was somehow part of the mechanism, I'm going to slowly cut away at it then and hopefully it won't suddenly go ping and my handbrake wont work anymore xD has anyone got a picture of what it looks like without the grip still on? Something like that will definitely ease my mind before some hacking done [emoji846]
The mechanism underneath is all pressed steel and the button is firmly clamped inside.
You can remove the grip without worrying about anything flying off.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

• 2 weeks later...

All done! Thanks for all the replys and after a few attempts at tiling cutting small slithers we managed to get it to fit xD but wouldn't recommend if u want a straight swap as the bore to the new handle is smaller to fit straight on.

I had to cut with a hacksaw the flanges on the underside, and use a machine sander to file the inside of the new handle slightly wider, also the plastic holder for the original button u cut flat so the new one just sits flat 👍

20181012_141542.jpg

20181012_145835.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club