Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Leaking hose

jamiew712

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice please. On my 2012 Ford focus 1.0 litre eco boost, there is 2 pipes feeding back into the water reservoir, one smaller and one larger, the larger one has a T joint on it a bit further down that then connects to a smaller pipe (any ideas what this is called? I think it maybe the degas pipe). 

This smaller pipe has cracked at the joint and has completely sheared off and also at the connection to the engine. 

I can't seem to find anywhere to buy this part and where I have made a DIY repair to hold it it hasn't sealed. The engine now also won't start, I think this maybe because there is air in the system? Any suggestions on where at all to start would be massively appreciated!

Thanks in advance 

It does sound like the degas hose.  Can you post a picture?  The old degas hose has been recalled as the plastic T piece kept breaking and cooking engines.  

Did you lose all of the coolant and/or did the engine overheat before you were able to stop it?  Air in he system won't stop the engine starting.  Does it turn over or make any attempt to start?

21 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

It does sound like the degas hose.  Can you post a picture?  The old degas hose has been recalled as the plastic T piece kept breaking and cooking engines.  

Did you lose all of the coolant and/or did the engine overheat before you were able to stop it?  Air in he system won't stop the engine starting.  Does it turn over or make any attempt to start?

Thanks for reply

Only picture of got is from before it completely sheared.

A made roughly a 40 mile journey, topped the water up before leaving and kept an eye on the temp gauge the whole way and it stayed in the normal area, then it flashed up engine malfunction and I pulled over, noticed the pipe had sheared and then made the temp repair but now it won't start.

Yes it makes some attempt tries to turn over but just doesn't get there.

Screenshot_20180929-150547_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20180929-150558_Video Player.jpg

Yeah, that is the degas hose but yours is the newer type so has had the recall done.  

Did you drive it home on the temp repair or has it not started since the engine malfunction message?  It's possible that it lost enough coolant to create an airlock and cause engine damage without appearing to overheat unfortunately, these 1.0EBs really don't like running low on coolant.  

No it hasn't moved since the engine malfunction came up, it's only tried to be started since with no luck.

So best bet is a garage? Is there anyway of clearing the an air lock? And hope no damage was done haha!

Just now, jamiew712 said:

No it hasn't moved since the engine malfunction came up, it's only tried to be started since with no luck.

So best bet is a garage? Is there anyway of clearing the an air lock? And hope no damage was done haha!

The airlock is easy to clear once the leak has been fixed, it's as simple as running the engine with the coolant cap off and all the air escapes through the open bottle over a few minutes, just have to keep topping up the coolant as the air escapes.  

Engines should start and run with no coolant at all though, so there's something else causing the non-start issue here.

Garage is probably best tbh, they can run diagnostics to see if there are any electrical faults, and a compression test to see if there is any internal damage.

3 hours ago, jamiew712 said:

Took it to garage today turns out head gasket had gone 😓😓

Oh dear, that will have been caused by the coolant loss unfortunately, they may find the head has warped as well.  Are they going to try and repair it or just put another engine in?