Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Help

Tony2

I have a 2011 focus titanium x and one day my battery died and the aa came out to jump start me and since they did my radio and display screen will not work. All fuses are ok everywhere in the car. Obviously now cannot also use the parking assist nothing. Don’t know what to do and ford want over £130 just to investigate. As said it’s showing an error on the system when they plug in. 

Regards

Tony

Did they say what the error code was?  Do you have Forscan?  

I don't suppose you know anyone with a Mk3 Focus?  Cheapest thing to do would be swap the fascia screen with theirs to see if it's the screen or the radio unit at fault.

24 minutes ago, iantt said:

have you tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. 

Hi Ian yes have tried that and had new battery 😞 

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Did they say what the error code was?  Do you have Forscan?  

I don't suppose you know anyone with a Mk3 Focus?  Cheapest thing to do would be swap the fascia screen with theirs to see if it's the screen or the radio unit at fault.

Hi Tom forscan what is that? No I don’t know anyone with mk3 all they said was communication error 

13 minutes ago, iantt said:

jump starting the car has spiked the screen most likely. 

Claim of the AA? 

1 hour ago, Tony2 said:

Hi Tom forscan what is that? No I don’t know anyone with mk3 all they said was communication error 

FORScan is a DIY diagnostic system, which is almost as good as Ford dealer systems.  It's free but you do need a laptop or smart phone, and either an elm cable or wireless dongle which are around £15 now I think.

Communication error just means something's not working, very vague code unfortunately.

Without knowing anyone to swap a screen, you may have to just bite the bullet and buy a used one of you don't want to pay for Fords investigation.

Ian suggested the jump start spiked the screen and I've seen exactly that happen a few times on the Facebook groups.  Tbh I'm amazed the AA still jump start modern cars as it's really not ideal with all the sensitive electronics.

We jump start vehicles at work all day, I probably see 20 a day that come in after jumping to be put on charge. . Fortunately most of the time they are lucky. Sometimes the bcm gets fried or a screen or two.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

FORScan is a DIY diagnostic system, which is almost as good as Ford dealer systems.  It's free but you do need a laptop or smart phone, and either an elm cable or wireless dongle which are around £15 now I think.

Communication error just means something's not working, very vague code unfortunately.

Without knowing anyone to swap a screen, you may have to just bite the bullet and buy a used one of you don't want to pay for Fords investigation.

Ian suggested the jump start spiked the screen and I've seen exactly that happen a few times on the Facebook groups.  Tbh I'm amazed the AA still jump start modern cars as it's really not ideal with all the sensitive electronics.

Hi tom would you know if this is correct radio for the car 

8A0A1355-2A50-47BD-BBE5-CB6DEF74F9EE.png

32C31575-3D30-4D66-9CED-962A65F91105.png

10 hours ago, Tony2 said:

Hi tom would you know if this is correct radio for the car 

8A0A1355-2A50-47BD-BBE5-CB6DEF74F9EE.png

32C31575-3D30-4D66-9CED-962A65F91105.png

The screen is probably interchangeable but that unit doesn't have sat nav which I would guess your X model does?

10 hours ago, iantt said:

We jump start vehicles at work all day, I probably see 20 a day that come in after jumping to be put on charge. . Fortunately most of the time they are lucky. Sometimes the bcm gets fried or a screen or two.

Fair enough then.  I wouldn't think it was worth the risk if you've got to pay for the ones that do get fried lol.

12 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Fair enough then.  I wouldn't think it was worth the risk if you've got to pay for the ones that do get fried lol.

alternative is to disconnect battery to stop them going flat on 10'000 vehicles. fortunatley its not me jump starting , not my problem or vehicle. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, iantt said:

alternative is to disconnect battery to stop them going flat on 10'000 vehicles. fortunatley its not me jump starting , not my problem or vehicle. 

Why do you have so many not being driven?  😮