Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Odd steering feeling

paperworkpaul

Hi all - right, I'm not mechanical at all - so please forgive any incorrect terminology! 

Last couple of times driving my focus, all is fine going straight, but after any turn of the wheel I get a feeling of added weight/adjustment to the steering - like to won't self-right itself but the car will continue to steer in that direction without a little more encouragement to correct than is usually needed...

Before I take it in, can anyone help explain a potential cause/solution - or a better description and understanding of this problem?

Cheers

check tyre pressures and power steering fluid level straightaway

if neither of those show up anything amiss I start getting these checked out

wheels bearings

driveshaft cv joints or centre bearings

engine mounts

worn suspension components

seizing diff cos no oil in the gearbox

On 10/4/2018 at 4:05 PM, paperworkpaul said:

Hi all - right, I'm not mechanical at all - so please forgive any incorrect terminology! 

Last couple of times driving my focus, all is fine going straight, but after any turn of the wheel I get a feeling of added weight/adjustment to the steering - like to won't self-right itself but the car will continue to steer in that direction without a little more encouragement to correct than is usually needed...

Before I take it in, can anyone help explain a potential cause/solution - or a better description and understanding of this problem?

Cheers

If I understand you righy then you mean the steering feels a bit stiff and like you feel you have to make a little more effort than normal to turn it?,  then it seems you have slightly stiff steering, your issue is likely to be one of the following

as already mentioned 

steering fluid level

tyre pressure

if those are ok

I would check to see if the ball joints in both track rods and track rod ends are dry/worn as they can go stiff if they are.

strut top bearings 

lower arm balljoints aren't dry/worn

Cheers