Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car going into limp home mode

olihenry

Hi guys

just joined this forum as after a bit of advice . I’ve got a 17 plate Focus 1.0 eco boost 125 , bought it last Dec haven’t had any issues with it except for today .

up in Croydon about 50 mls from home , been shopping get in the car to drive off and orange light comes on saying service engine now ( pic should be attached )

so  I pull away , car is juddering and feels like it’s about to stall . Mash my foot on the accelerator and there is literally no power at all . Get about a mile down the road stopped at a red light and I turn the engine off and on again. Message goes away and power is back . Engines been turned off and on about 10 times probably since then (start stop ) and the problem hasn’t returned .

i rung my dealer and he reckons it’s gone into something called limp home mode . It was quite worrying , I drive 60 miles round trip to work every day and really don’t want this happening again . It’s booked in for diagnostic next Wednesday but it really takes confidence out of driving , especially as the car isn’t much more than a yr old . Had it’s service at 12.5k miles no issues picked up . Any idea if this is a blip or something I should be more worried about ? I saw a story in the news last wk about issues with the eco boost engines . 

Any help much appreciated , cheers

9D0AB1D9-C886-4FA0-B2E2-1C112FA4320C.jpeg

11 hours ago, olihenry said:

Hi guys

just joined this forum as after a bit of advice . I’ve got a 17 plate Focus 1.0 eco boost 125 , bought it last Dec haven’t had any issues with it except for today .

up in Croydon about 50 mls from home , been shopping get in the car to drive off and orange light comes on saying service engine now ( pic should be attached )

so  I pull away , car is juddering and feels like it’s about to stall . Mash my foot on the accelerator and there is literally no power at all . Get about a mile down the road stopped at a red light and I turn the engine off and on again. Message goes away and power is back . Engines been turned off and on about 10 times probably since then (start stop ) and the problem hasn’t returned .

i rung my dealer and he reckons it’s gone into something called limp home mode . It was quite worrying , I drive 60 miles round trip to work every day and really don’t want this happening again . It’s booked in for diagnostic next Wednesday but it really takes confidence out of driving , especially as the car isn’t much more than a yr old . Had it’s service at 12.5k miles no issues picked up . Any idea if this is a blip or something I should be more worried about ? I saw a story in the news last wk about issues with the eco boost engines . 

Any help much appreciated , cheers

9D0AB1D9-C886-4FA0-B2E2-1C112FA4320C.jpeg

There are 2 very similar messages, 1 is purely a indicator to advise that a service is due and can easily be reset.  The other is an indication of a potential problem which is what I believe the type that you've shown is, you really need to have the car checked to see what stored error codes/DTC's are present.  Rather than paying a garage you can do it yourself if you have a Windows laptop (using freeware Forscan software and a modified ELM327 cable).   There's plenty of info on here about the Forscan stuff if you're interested in that option, amongst other things is allows you to read and reset DTC's as well as perform certain service procedures and monitor pretty much any sensor on the car.

as above, I would urge all to have their own code reader. less than £15 for one which does not have own display on (so use with laptop etc). One of the annoying things with the way a car stores fault codes, it does not store dates the codes appeared. So if you see 5 codes you do not know if 4 are old and one is new etc. So you then have to clear them and drive the car and see which reappear.