Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What socket to change spark plugs?

dom550

It's time to swap my spark plugs, just wondering what size socket I need. I know there are different ways to measure spark plugs sizes which can cause a bit of confusion, I'm not completely sure I get it, so spell it out for me assuming I'm thick please!

2013 Fiesta, 1-litre ecoboost, the Titanium 125 version. The replacement plugs I've bought are part 1770305.

I've been told a thin-wall 14mm socket, like this - just hesitant because the listing doesn't mention Ford at all.

Thanks in advance 🙂

yes, spark plug socket sizes are confusing. A 14mm sparkplug socket is not a 14mm socket, it is bigger than 14mm.  I think 14mm is the diameter of the threaded part of the plug but of course the hexagonal part that the socket fits on is bigger. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2018 at 6:17 PM, Luke4efc said:

That socket should be fine. As long as it is a 14mm thin wall then it will fit. Plus US Pro (or Bergen) make some ok tools for the money.

On 10/23/2018 at 11:54 PM, isetta said:

yes, spark plug socket sizes are confusing. A 14mm sparkplug socket is not a 14mm socket, it is bigger than 14mm.  I think 14mm is the diameter of the threaded part of the plug but of course the hexagonal part that the socket fits on is bigger. 

On 10/24/2018 at 5:22 PM, STJAY said:

If you go to Halfords, they will usually let you go outside and try the tool.  So take your plug, try it in the socket get an extension bar and try it down into the head to see if it fits.  Easy 🙂

Sorry, just seen these replies - didn't get notifications for some reason! I got the job done with the tool that I linked in my first post - 14mm (thread size, not hex/socket size, as mentioned by isetta) bi-hex thin-wall socket 👍