Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smoking front o/s wheel

williamweb
聽Share

So just been out for a nice drive around Exmoor and on arriving home i smelt first and then noticed smoke billowing out of the front o/s wheel area.To be honest I smelt the burning on the way home but I wasn鈥檛 switched聽on to it,i just closed the window 馃檮.I鈥檓 going to investigate tomorrow.I鈥檓聽guessing considering the calliper is 18 years old that it鈥檚 sticking and needs replacing?Any constructive comments welcome.Thanks.

Probsbly a seized caliper, the colour of the disc will be a good give away without touching it.聽

Cheers stef.I鈥檓 thinking do I give the existing calliper a clean up and a guide grease up or do I go ahead and buy a new one.

Also now thinking about it I鈥檝e a weak steering wheel vibration.Could it be a symptom of a sticking calliper?聽

• Like 1

Likely that's where the vibration has originated from. I had this once in my old mk1 focus, nearside front wheel bearing was noisy, thought nothing much of it until heading home one night and I had a massive vibration from that side. Seized caliper had wiped the bearing out, by the time I stopped I had a blue brake disc from the heat.

If indeed it is caliper related, just get a new one. Front ones are cheap enough anyway. Clean up the guides too. Silicone grease is what I use for this.

• Like 2

if the disc was that hot it may have warped. I wouldn't buy anything until you have had a good look. 聽might need one caliper, two discs (you should not just replace one as very good chance of brake imbalance) and a set of pads. 聽And a bearing?

but might not be that bad. 聽Not much point worrying at this point how much stuff you need. needs inspection first

Yeah definitely makes sense to investigate first.Didn't think about warped discs馃檮I cleaned the callipers and greased the pins 2 years ago.The discs are 7 years old and maybe alittle thin馃憤

18 hours ago, williamweb said:

do I give the existing calliper a clean up and a guide grease up or do I go ahead and buy a new one

Don't waste your time cleaning the old one, it won't last. Trust me, I've been there. You will definitely have wrecked the pads and probably the disc on that side so I'd recommend replacing discs and pads on both sides to maintain brake balance as Isetta says.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjt said:

Don't waste your time cleaning the old one, it won't last. Trust me, I've been there. You will definitely have wrecked the pads and probably the disc on that side so I'd recommend replacing discs and pads on both sides to maintain brake balance as Isetta says.

Done exactly that and also a calliper ordered馃憤Went out for a test drive 聽today and the front o/s disc edge聽was glowing.Thanks everyone for your comments.

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club