Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel filter

bananacat

Hi I have been told my doesn't have a fuel filter it's 2012 tdci ecotecnic 1.6l, is it true it doesn't? Or maybe I was told it never needs replacement etc I'm not sure 

49 minutes ago, bananacat said:

Hi I have been told my doesn't have a fuel filter it's 2012 tdci ecotecnic 1.6l, is it true it doesn't? Or maybe I was told it never needs replacement etc I'm not sure 

Nope, not true for either point...  It's recommended replacement every 25k or so, but they can block up sooner than that.  Fortunately, the filter on these is much cheaper than the one on the Mk2 1.6 TDCi.  :smile: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bananacat said:

Yes that's it.

It's one of those jobs that the first time round I got in a right mess but the second time round took me 10 minutes and started first time.  

Once you've changed the filter, it needs bleeding.  I use one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-43904-Fuel-Transfer-Syphon/dp/B00123121K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1540834455&sr=8-1&keywords=draper+syphon.  You might want to check eBay as that amazon price is a bit steep. Think I paid £11 for mine.

My advice for a smooth change (basically what I did last time on the successful attempt) :-

When you release the fuel lines, don't leave them open to air for ages, get them on to the new filter pronto. Then using the above syphon on the outlet side of the filter, pump until fuel comes through.  Put outlet fuel line back on.  Start, and rev her to get the fuel through the lines quickly before she has a chance to cut out!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's great advice 

Thank you very much 

Seen some vids YouTube of people changing the filter but the area where their filters are is different to mine, can anyone tell me where to locate the filter please? 

I'm changing it to rule out engine malfunction message that has just started when accelerating up a hill and read that the filter is a common cause 

20181029_190355.jpg

20181029_190247.jpg

16 minutes ago, bananacat said:

Seen some vids YouTube of people changing the filter but the area where their filters are is different to mine, can anyone tell me where to locate the filter please? 

I'm changing it to rule out engine malfunction message that has just started when accelerating up a hill and read that the filter is a common cause 

20181029_190355.jpg

20181029_190247.jpg

No worries, glad to help :).  In your second picture it's at the top underneath that metal bracket.  Remove the metal bracket and then there are 3 Torx screws (you can see one of them in your picture) on top of the filter housing.  Undo those and you're in.

Brilliant. Any ideas what the we pipe is in the first pic left hand side? I'm sure it wasn't like that before, maybe that's the problem 

2 minutes ago, bananacat said:

Brilliant. Any ideas what the we pipe is in the first pic left hand side? I'm sure it wasn't like that before, maybe that's the problem 

Not sure which pipe you mean Chris, can you be a bit more specific?

4 minutes ago, bananacat said:

Yeah sorry, this one 

20181029_193533.jpg

I think that's the inlet manifold hose, part of the hoses from the intercooler to the manifold that carries pressurised air.  Look OK to me in the picture 🙂

Thanks mate. Fingers crossed its only the filter and not turbo 

• Like 1

Is that pipe shiny because you've wiped it or is it covered in oil mist?  If it's oil mist, look for cracks in the piping as you may have a boost leak there.

• Thanks 1

Haven't touched it so it's spraying stuff out. I'll have a look when day light. 

8 hours ago, bananacat said:

fuel filter from ford can be found cheaper than carparts4less. :rolleyes:

eBay item number:272378868761

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, andypsp said:

fuel filter from ford can be found cheaper than carparts4less. :rolleyes:

eBay item number:272378868761

Ooo thank you. Don't suppose you know part number for the hose do you lol

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club