Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Another issue!

F0CUE

This morning I was setting off to work and started to hear a sound at the rear like Rolf Harris got stuck in my wheel with his flexible board. So I'm guessing wheel bearing? If so is it possible to take the whole assembly off from the hub? And do you know any place that has assembled all in one sets (disks pads and bearing) for sale or will I have to put it all together separate? I can learn but looks very fiddly.

On 10/30/2018 at 10:33 PM, F0CUE said:

This morning I was setting off to work and started to hear a sound at the rear like Rolf Harris got stuck in my wheel with his flexible board. So I'm guessing wheel bearing? If so is it possible to take the whole assembly off from the hub? And do you know any place that has assembled all in one sets (disks pads and bearing) for sale or will I have to put it all together separate? I can learn but looks very fiddly.

Removing the brake caliper, caliper bracket and brake disc is pretty easy (I found), getting access to the 4 bolts on the back of the hub unit whilst working of axle stands, not so much.  I ended up having to get a garage to do it on a proper vehicle lift, 2 of the bolt heads sheared so they had to plasma cut the heads off the bolts so they could remove the hub unit.

If you're confident that the root cause of the noise is the bearing I'd recommend getting a garage to replace the hub unit, it shouldn't cost much more than an hours labour.

I’ve a MK1 and I found removing the hub although alittle fiddly is a doable job.The  bearing went in the rear so i removed the hub and a local engineering shop pressed in a new bearing.I now have a lift and tilt which would of made the job easier but at the time I used axle stands.

I'm not 100% sure it is the bearing it became worse today whilst I had to brake more than normal a constant grind appeared and it's like it's the brake sticking.  If I reverse it goes back to normal and if I brake gently it's fine.

Ok sure it's the brake drums at full point of self adjustment. When lightly braking it's fine everywhere and if I have to suddenly break fast the grind then starts and I have to reverse and you hear something dislodging the it's fine again. Is it easy enough to remove the drum cover and will I need a 30mm socket in this version MK2.5 ? as vids on the net show many variations.

Finally got a chance to take off my drum today and to find the retainer clip that holds the shoes to the pin fell onto the road so that explains what the noise was and part of the leg on one side is broken so I have temporarily compressed it together so it holds on there ATM 🙄

18 hours ago, F0CUE said:

Finally got a chance to take off my drum today and to find the retainer clip that holds the shoes to the pin fell onto the road so that explains what the noise was and part of the leg on one side is broken so I have temporarily compressed it together so it holds on there ATM 🙄

At least you now know the root cause so you can fix it. :biggrin:

10 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

At least you now know the root cause so you can fix it. :biggrin:

Yeh it now works but makes a god awful springy noise I'm going to replace the lot and skim some of the rust of the surface of the outer drum as it looks like it has a disease. 🤪