Do Not Sell My Personal Information

push start problem

steve2663

Hi  my wife has a ford focus 2013 1.6 diesel it has been running and starting fine every time. its a push button start but today when she got in it she put her foot on the clutch as normal pushed the start button but wont start all you get is a click. i have tried jump starting it with my car but still no good. some are saying on other sites i have been on its the battery. thanks steve

On 11/2/2018 at 9:45 PM, steve2663 said:

Hi  my wife has a ford focus 2013 1.6 diesel it has been running and starting fine every time. its a push button start but today when she got in it she put her foot on the clutch as normal pushed the start button but wont start all you get is a click. i have tried jump starting it with my car but still no good. some are saying on other sites i have been on its the battery. thanks steve

The most likely culprit would be the battery, if a cell in the battery has died, the battery will simply not be able to store enough cold cranking amps to turn the engine (especially a diesel engine as they take a lot more "grunt" to crank).

If you have a multimeter you could test what voltage the battery is holding "at rest", if it's less than 12 volts it's considered to be flat as a *****.  To get an accurate reading the battery needs to have been left alone for at least 24 hours i.e. no jump start attempts etc, otherwise the reading on the multimeter will show as higher than the real "at rest" charge state.