Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 Focus turbo wiring.

barrymx5

I've replaced my Mk2 diesel 1.8 Focus turbo with a slightly newer second hand one and I've noticed that the replacement turbo has x5 wires attached to the actuator as opposed to the x3 of my original one. Does any one know if they are compatible? I've also noticed that the connector to the acuator is numbered 1 to 5 and the wiring colours of the two turbo versions don't correspond to the numbered positions. Otherwise  the turbos are exactly the same and the replacement fits perfectly. I haven't tried it yet as I'm waiting for advise on what best to do with the wiring.

I've swapped the turbo for a used one that was guaranteed to work. I've tried the car since it was fitted and it doesn't whine anymore. However, whilst the tick-over is fine, as soon as I attempt to pull away the engine stutters and has no power. The exhaust is also smoky. To add further insult to injury my bonnet catch has decided not to function, though I've got some good ideas from YouTube on how to sort the problem. Alas, it looks like I'm back to square one with the lack of engine power and smoke problem and I'm beginning to think it's not the turbo after all.

Generally, there are two basic types of turbo actuator, some of which look physically the same. 3-wire ones control the actuator position internally and have 3 wires- power, ground and a PWM signal which corresponds to the position request. 50% duty cycle will move the actuator to 50%, 25% will move it to 25% etc. The other type controls the position directly by the ECU. So there are 5 wires- two for the motor terminals, plus three for a position sensor. The sensor voltage varies with the actuator position, and the ECU then uses this to drive the motor forward or backward to the requested position.

The two types are not compatible, even if the plugs physically fit, and may be damaged if you try. Make a note of the actuator model number and check the two parts.