Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2009 MK7 Fiesta Zetec S 1.6 TDCI shakey with white smoke on first start of the day

sdl05

Got my fiesta back in February and was perfectly fine up until about 2/3 months ago. Every morning when i start it up to go to school it struggles to start and then the engine shaking causes the entire car to shake for quite a while while idle however after being driven for a while it becomes fine when waiting in traffic etc. Additionally there is an awful amount of white smoke out the exhaust (has a backbox delete, surely wouldnt affect it that much though?). Through looking up and talking to a mechanic i know, it seems to be oil levels or coolant however both are perfectly fine so just wondering if anyone has had the same problem or knows what it could be? Cheers. 

IMG_20181105_080044__01-min.jpg

my first thought is glowplug problem

• Thanks 1

Had diesels in the past and your post points to new glow plug time , surprised your mechanic didn't mention this.

• Thanks 1

When I bought my mk6.5 fiesta zetec s 1.6 TDCI I noticed the next day it would run lumpy and puff white smoke when started from cold and would run as normal after being driven for about a minute. Have you checked to see if these symptoms come again if you started the car not long after you've given it a good run? 

On my fiesta I first changed the glow plugs which took so long to do but didn't help. I then had a suspicion one of the injectors were leaking as it may leak diesel into the cylinder thus causing those symptoms after starting the car after its been sitting for hours. I got all 4 injectors reconditioned and that sorted the problem. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, zain611 said:

When I bought my mk6.5 fiesta zetec s 1.6 TDCI I noticed the next day it would run lumpy and puff white smoke when started from cold and would run as normal after being driven for about a minute. Have you checked to see if these symptoms come again if you started the car not long after you've given it a good run? 

On my fiesta I first changed the glow plugs which took so long to do but didn't help. I then had a suspicion one of the injectors were leaking as it may leak diesel into the cylinder thus causing those symptoms after starting the car after its been sitting for hours. I got all 4 injectors reconditioned and that sorted the problem. 

Yeah if I let it run for a while then turn it off and back on it runs fine, no smoke and not shakey. do you remember how much it would cost roughly to get them reconditioned if you don't mind me asking?

1 hour ago, sdl05 said:

Yeah if I let it run for a while then turn it off and back on it runs fine, no smoke and not shakey. do you remember how much it would cost roughly to get them reconditioned if you don't mind me asking?

It was around £275 all together to get all 4 reconditioned. I was told by a guy who remaps these engines that it's best to get second hand ones as people who recondition them most likely use cheap parts on them. I don't do much mileage but since I got them reconditioned (back in January) it's been running great. 

I'd say you should get a diesel leak off test to check each injector and see which one might be leaking. 

You can check the first page of my build topic where I was doing the injectors plus a few other stuff whilst I was at the engine. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club