Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Security, diskloc etc


Claire1234
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi there 

Will the small size Diskloc fit on a ST-Line X please as the steering wheel is square at the bottom if you know what I mean? Is there any extra security you would recommend ? Just trying to make a new car as safe as it can be. It has keyless start but not the extra payable spec of keyless entry.

thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites


In all honesty I doubt someone would try and steal a ST-Line when I'm sure there's an ST around the corner that's just as easy to get into.

Relocating the OBD2 port and fitting a dummy is very common so might be worth a look. You can wire the dummy to show all the cars info etc. on the computer, but it won't be able to start the car or do anything useful to the ECU.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Luke4efc said:

In all honesty I doubt someone would try and steal a ST-Line when I'm sure there's an ST around the corner that's just as easy to get into.

Relocating the OBD2 port and fitting a dummy is very common so might be worth a look. You can wire the dummy to show all the cars info etc. on the computer, but it won't be able to start the car or do anything useful to the ECU.

With the new model Fiesta the OBD port is disabled if the alarm goes off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't see why it wouldn't fit. Just pop in to a Halfords and ask to try one.

The Small fits my Mondeo steering wheel, although it was initially a bit tight when closed on to the steering wheel spokes, so I  widened the casing and now it fits fine. However, I've had this one for 15 years so I don't know if the current ones are the same.

 

Disklok_fitted.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I ha a disc lok, pain to keep putting on and off and off course storage when off. I now use a Stoplok Pro, much more convenient and can be used to fend off car jackers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Indeed it is a pain. I only use it now when I'm out and about in places around the country like if I drive to a gig in another city then I'll use it or if I go to the cinema (Theives know you'll be in there for 2 -3 hours and someone had their TXS stolen whe he was watching a film)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

In all honesty I doubt someone would try and steal a ST-Line when I'm sure there's an ST around the corner that's just as easy to get into.

Sadly this isn't the case any more, ST-Lines are getting stolen quite often now, even those without keyless entry!  Tbh it's made me more worried about buying a facelift Focus TX.  I'd wrongly assumed it was only ST's getting stolen and I really can't be bothered fitting steering or clutch locks every time I park.  Also, in my case, my neighbour does fit a steering wheel lock to his ST so mine would be the easier target at home lol!

I would be doing the OBD lock if/when I get one but don't want the hassle and inconvenience of physical locks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Claire1234 said:

Do I need the OBD thingy even if it’s not keyless entry , just keyless start ? Sorry I’m not very techie.

Yeah, it's the OBD port that's physically used to switch off the alarm and start the car once in, it's nothing to do with the keyless entry.  

However Tiexen said above the new Fiesta already comes with an OBD blocker if the alarm goes off.  So that would suggest you don't need another one.  But having said that, if they can get in without setting the alarm off (by cloning the key signal when you lock or unlock the car), the alarm wouldn't go off which may render the standard system useless.  I'd want to know more information on the standard system personally. :smile: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Sadly this isn't the case any more, ST-Lines are getting stolen quite often now, even those without keyless entry!  Tbh it's made me more worried about buying a facelift Focus TX.  I'd wrongly assumed it was only ST's getting stolen and I really can't be bothered fitting steering or clutch locks every time I park.  Also, in my case, my neighbour does fit a steering wheel lock to his ST so mine would be the easier target at home lol!

I would be doing the OBD lock if/when I get one but don't want the hassle and inconvenience of physical locks.

Why not get a steering wheel lock? Or you could do the Mr bean move of taking off the steering wheel all together 😂. With the amount of crime rising in London it might be worth getting a lock myself but because I normally park in public car parks and on the drive that probably deters a thief. 

If the thief isn't dumb enough to break in and hotwire the car without realising at the last moment there's no steering wheel. 

Screenshot_20181107-132729.png

Screenshot_20181107-132739.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks all again for your input....now the removable steering wheel, we actually have a motorhome and the steering wheel comes off as you drop the bed down over the seats and swivel seats in day , my husband thinks it’s the best anti theft device going.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, zain611 said:

Why not get a steering wheel lock? Or you could do the Mr bean move of taking off the steering wheel all together 😂. With the amount of crime rising in London it might be worth getting a lock myself but because I normally park in public car parks and on the drive that probably deters a thief. 

If the thief isn't dumb enough to break in and hotwire the car without realising at the last moment there's no steering wheel. 

Screenshot_20181107-132729.png

Screenshot_20181107-132739.png

Honestly... laziness, the very reason we have central locking and now keyless start & entry lol!  I tend to be in a rush for the loo when I get home, no time to mess around with a steering lock tbh.  When out I want a quick get in & away, and even park in the easiest space to get out of...

We fitted a quick release boss to my mates track car though...he now takes his wheel with him exactly like Mr Bean! :laugh:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't used a steering wheel lock since my first car (a 1988 Peugeot 205)! Much neater to disable the OBD port (data link connector fuse in the manual) and get a window sticker if it's really that much of an issue. That's what I've done on my ST.

64d476b97cc24fee72401fa93f1e6b84.jpg&key=8ffb575a35f4d7bac2a6e2f704d017371a5b820d61fa955ce08234674f8e4c84

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

A fuel cut-off switch is a good investment.  Your friendly auto tech will fit one for about £50. While rummaging in the scrap box the other day, I found a piggy-back fuse and thought it might do the trick, fitted in the fuel pump fuse in the passenger well.  The 20A fuse is fitted in the piggy line and the return from the switch soldered to one pin of a fuse which has been made open-circuit.  Seems too simple?

P1060002.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8 November 2018 at 7:56 AM, TimST2 said:

I haven't used a steering wheel lock since my first car (a 1988 Peugeot 205)! Much neater to disable the OBD port (data link connector fuse in the manual) and get a window sticker if it's really that much of an issue. That's what I've done on my ST.

 

64d476b97cc24fee72401fa93f1e6b84.jpg&key=8ffb575a35f4d7bac2a6e2f704d017371a5b820d61fa955ce08234674f8e4c84

 

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

 

 

You protected a now 30 years old pug better than a 2 year old car that gets stolen regularly?

pulling the fuse might not work if their unit is self powering.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7 November 2018 at 1:33 PM, zain611 said:

Why not get a steering wheel lock? Or you could do the Mr bean move of taking off the steering wheel all together 😂. With the amount of crime rising in London it might be worth getting a lock myself but because I normally park in public car parks and on the drive that probably deters a thief. 

If the thief isn't dumb enough to break in and hotwire the car without realising at the last moment there's no steering wheel. 

Screenshot_20181107-132729.png

Screenshot_20181107-132739.png

Cars don't get stolen from people's driveways or public car parks?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27 November 2018 at 3:21 PM, Freddy42 said:

A fuel cut-off switch is a good investment.  Your friendly auto tech will fit one for about £50. While rummaging in the scrap box the other day, I found a piggy-back fuse and thought it might do the trick, fitted in the fuel pump fuse in the passenger well.  The 20A fuse is fitted in the piggy line and the return from the switch soldered to one pin of a fuse which has been made open-circuit.  Seems too simple?

P1060002.JPG

What happens if you pull that out, take the 20A fuse out and put the fuse back into the fusebox?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

12 minutes ago, MarksST said:
You protected a now 30 years old pug better than a 2 year old car that gets stolen regularly?


It wasn't 30 years old at the time! It also had no immobiliser or alarm and could be broken into using a plastic spoon 😂

And it was the 90s - steering wheel locks were all the rage back then...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As I understand it, my ST-2 can only be stolen by breaking the window (keyless start not keyless entry) and plugging a laptop into the OBD port. So while the thieves try to work out how to re-enable the OBD port the alarm will be going off. Removing the fuse is only one method of disabling the port.

 

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Forums


News


Membership