Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Broadband Deals

TomsFocus

Evening all,

So, just checked my bank account and Sky have taken an extra tenner from me this month... :sad:  I've had a free broadband offer with them for the last 12 months but that must have run out...bit annoyed that they don't send an email about this though, I don't always have a spare tenner in that account.  Anyway, I've been with them for over 3 years, the broadband is fairly slow (~8MB download) but had been reliable until this year where its dropped out quite a few times.  So I'm thinking of changing...anyone know of any decent deals atm, particularly with Black Friday coming up?  My current service is line rental & broadband for £28.99 a month (£18.99 a month on the previous offer).  Sky have now offered me £20 a month for my existing service, or £30 a month to upgrade to fibre (estimated ~40MB avg).  Doing a quick comparison, I've seen Vodaphone Superfast (35MB avg) for £22 a month.  An extra £2 a month for fibre seems like the better deal so far...  Cheers, Tom.  (PS, sorry for the block of text, the forum bug is still stopping my enter button working after adding a smiley lol)

iam on sky 30quid a month line rent in with it  running 2 xbox lives 4 mobiles smart tv and pc all fine for me and got 2 sim card deals 2 3 quid each for free mins and tx but you only get 500mb but what ever you don't use it doubles up each month

Download Mbps

Upload Mbps

• Like 1

We're paying about £37 for line rental, fibre BB(50-60 meg) plus ALL calls Inc mobile with Plusnet. If you don't make many calls you can reduce it by £8. They have different speeds of BB, from normal all the way up to 'Fibre Extra'

I like the fact that if you need to speak to anyone you speak to someone in this country. 

I think I could 'recommend' you and I get a discount of my bill 😆

• Like 1

I must admit, I've not had any major issues with Sky so have thought about taking up thier offer of £30 for fibre.  But when others are offering it in the low 20s I can't really justify staying with them.  

Plusnet seems to be around the same as Sky at £30, I was expecting them to be cheaper if I'm honest, they're obviously paying that guy too much on the TV ads lol.  As for phone calls, I don't make any!  If I did need to, my mobile is on PAYG at 5p per minute so that's cheaper than any PAYG landline anyway.

Has anyone had experience of TalkTalk?  They're offering fibre & line rental for £22.50 a month and won't charge for moving house like Vodafone do.  Reading online reviews makes all of the providers sound awful so that's not been any help either lol.

59 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

.As for phone calls, I don't make any!  If I did need to, my mobile is on PAYG at 5p per minute so that's cheaper than any PAYG landline anyway.

Has anyone had experience of TalkTalk?  They're offering fibre & line rental for £22.50 a month and won't charge for moving house like Vodafone do.

O2 PAYG is only 3p a minute 😉

We had Talktime/Tiscali for a while. Alright until you needed to speak to someone! I don't mind speaking to someone not in this country but when they try and make you believe they are in Britain it kinda riled me 😠

12 hours ago, Turvey said:

O2 PAYG is only 3p a minute 😉

We had Talktime/Tiscali for a while. Alright until you needed to speak to someone! I don't mind speaking to someone not in this country but when they try and make you believe they are in Britain it kinda riled me 😠

I'm on O2 PAYG...maybe it is only 3ppm.  :laugh:  When I first joined it was 5p per minute, 5p per text and 5p per MB.  It's since dropped to 1p per MB and 2p per text I think but I didn't take any notice of minutes.  

Customer service seems to be poor across the range from reading reviews.  Just have to hope nothing goes wrong... :unsure: 

I was with Sky but it was too slow and there fibre can only go up to 50mb in my area so I thought sod it and got virgin 350mb £35 a month including line rental

• Like 1

I have a great deal with virgin,had them for years and have the full package and i rang them last month and knocked £25 a month off the bill.

Top broardband and not any one out there can come close,i have the top one upto 350 and i don't get a lot less even in peak times.

And i have had not a lot of problems in years,ok stuff off a few times for updates but they all have this but the speed it amazing on 4 devices.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ryan_Tango said:

I was with Sky but it was too slow and there fibre can only go up to 50mb in my area so I thought sod it and got virgin 350mb £35 a month including line rental

What was the 50MB too slow for out of interest?  Do you stream Netflix etc?  Mines currently 8MB so was thinking 35MB should be noticeably better.  

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

What was the 50MB too slow for out of interest?  Do you stream Netflix etc?  Mines currently 8MB so was thinking 35MB should be noticeably better.  

I do a unhealthy amount of downloading for my xbox and media, I download for my dad at work due to having no internet and for my self to take upstairs to bed with me after work so I need things fast and with Sky that wasn't. I download anywhere from 20gb to 50gb every day of the week apart from Sat and Sun (My day off today haha)

Yes I stream Netflix a lot too, Sky was fine in that matter no issues at all even on the 14mb I was getting, and being honest Sky had a more reliable wifi signal

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Tango said:

I do a unhealthy amount of downloading for my xbox and media, I download for my dad at work due to having no internet and for my self to take upstairs to bed with me after work so I need things fast and with Sky that wasn't. I download anywhere from 20gb to 50gb every day of the week apart from Sat and Sun (My day off today haha)

Woah, I can see why you'd need decent speeds!  :laugh:   For me, 8MB is alright day to day, but Xbox updates take hours and Xbox Live gets a bit laggy at peak times.  I don't really download much else, the rest is just general browsing really so I'm hoping 35MB would be good enough.

I think I've decided to go with TalkTalk 35-40MB at £22.50 a month.  No setup costs, keep the same number, no house-move fees, 7 day 'trial' period...  Customer service is the main worry but hopefully nothing goes wrong!

If you find it's a pain to deal with then you have a 14 day cooling off period by law. It's different than a trial because you still have to pay for those 14 days, but you're not tied into the 12 month contract.

• Like 1

Take a look here:-

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/

You do not have to sign up or log in

Scroll down a little way and click on that icon with the head and shoulders of people in it with Community written under it.

Scroll down a little way again and click on Help with your TalkTalk service, this will bring up a page of different sections, just click on each one in turn and read through the different problem posts that customers are having before you decide to go with them.

I was with them for years until I got fed up with some of the  problems that were affecting my service so have now been with Plusnet for about 3 years, a great service all round.

• Like 1

Ive been on  talk talk for 18months so far and not one issue, I pay £27 month for fibre broadband 35mb( just checked and it's still got that speed) also for that price I got a free SIM card with 200mins, unlimited texts and 500mb data each month. 

Never had the need to contact the call centre . 

Best deal I had was with sky, normal broadband. It was through moneysaving expert. It was a discounted price with cash back more than the cost of the broadband paid directly into my sky account. So in the end I was in credit by £5 and free sky broadband/line rental for 12 months. 

• Like 1

Well, I've decided to go with them...

£19.95 a month for faster fibre, 35MB minimum, unlimited downloads.  £50 back through TCB as well.

If it does turn out to be a bad choice I can cancel within the 30 days anyway.

Thanks all. :smile: 

My latest deal with BT is 30 for 55mb fibre and I had £125 reward card. Plus done through quidco got an extra £80.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Well the switchover went very smoothly...so much so I didn't even notice the switch!  Photo & video uploads are noticeably quicker and the xbox lag has disappeared.  No complaints so far! :smile: 

Just wondered about the old company though, as I switched half way through a month with them, will I have to pay anything?  Or will I get anything back as I think it's paid a month in advance?  I'm out of contract so won't be any early termination fees.

You might get a small amount back but you never know with some people they always come up with something to say what its for.

Is this still the case where still a lot of places still can only get upto 100MB as that would be bad for me running around 5 items off 1 connection.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club