Do Not Sell My Personal Information

EGR valve opinions please

ukmartian

Hi all, 2 1/2 months ago I purchased a 2010 focus titanium 1600 TDCI. This replaced a Mondeo 2lt tdci ..at first I thought it was me missing the extra power of my Mondeo as the focus seemed so sluggish. I returned it back to the garage who put a diagnostic on and it flagged up EGR fault after fault, but at no time did the EML light come on. The garage promptly replace the EGR under warranty, which for about 3-4 days I had no problems until the EML light comes on the car again was sluggish , the garage reset the light and said it was probably just a calibration issue,  5 days later the EML came on again  and the rpm went mad  ie when coming off the throttle the rpm's  would fall to 4-500 rpm the bounce up to 1000 rpm before settling down  down. 'So back to the garage who again put his gadget on the car which highlighted once again diagnosed a faulty EGR. He has this time said he is going to replace it again with a genuine main dealer part instead of a pattern part...could I have been unlucky to have a faulty supposably new EGR valve faulty and why should the EML light come on this time or could there be something else causing these issues.  

I am adding to this post as I now really stumped ...I had an another new EGR valve fitted on Monday this time from a main dealer ...2 days later the EML came on again and power reduced  ..I called out the RAC and he plugged in his diagnostic which again said the EGR valve was faulty what do I do now I can't have 2 faulty valves 

RAC diag codes.pdf

Hi Steve,

I have also started a thread on similar issue ( to your original issue of lack of power) - did your garage do the 'relearn' of EGR values - they cannot just change the egr hardware without setting of the relearn or adaptation process.

Allan

37 minutes ago, Lenny said:

Good luck with the MOT. Pretty sure they check for these now.

I had my EGR replaced on my old 1.6TDCi. They are a pain granted, but if you're doing short journeys this doesn't help them like it doesn't help the DPF on these cars either.

2 hours ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

Good luck with the MOT. Pretty sure they check for these now.

I had my EGR replaced on my old 1.6TDCi. They are a pain granted, but if you're doing short journeys this doesn't help them like it doesn't help the DPF on these cars either.

Didn't know things had changed as I'm in Ireland, wouldn't have known only you told me, 

Over here it's only visual check and exhaust probing to carbon emissions but not hydro carbons. DPF and egr turn hydro carbons down to carbons but NCT doesn't check for hydro.

Anyway:

DPF clogs up if your only doing short journeys then the egr circulates the unburnt carbon when the dpf blocks followed by heavy contamination of the oil which then block the oil feed to the turbo causing turbo failure, very common problem on the 1.6TDCi engine, most turbo blow around 100,000 - 120,000 miles 

Mine now has 280,000km on factory turbo, I'll be changing the turbo at 300,000km as I think it's served me well, going for a hybrid https://nbstyling.co.uk/product/hybrid-turbo-fiesta-1-6-tdci-90hpfocus-1-6-tdci-110hp-peugeot-1-6-hdi-mini-1-6d-volvo-1-6d/

Since May this year on a UK MOT they now check for any signs of 'tampering' with emmisions systems.  This includes EGR blanks...but as they're usually hidden it won't get picked up anyway.  Smoke test is also far tighter for DPF cars than it used to be, the allowed figure is printed on the VIN plate.  On a mk3 1.6 TDCi this has dropped the allowed limit down to a third of what it was before!  Not sure if there's a plate figure on the Mk2.5s though.

Regardless, the EGR reduces NOx which isn't tested.  But is also necessary for DPF regen, I wouldn't recommend blanking it in a DPF equipped car personally.