Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Metal flakes in oil filter

JONATHAN_11_80

Hi,

I changed the oil and filter on my 1.8 duratec he 2 weeks ago.  Previous to this at the last service and mot by the garage around 8000 miles ago my sump plug stripped it had felt odd for a while.  The garage retapped it for the next size up.  I have dissected my old oil filter and found quite a few metal flakes in the filter medium.  Pictures attached.  The engines runs fine no knocks or rattles.  I am hoping it's swarf from sump plug repair.  Thoughts

15437540960813992819517881923101.jpg

15437541464868307728773474608664.jpg

4 minutes ago, JONATHAN_11_80 said:

Hi,

I changed the oil and filter on my 1.8 duratec he 2 weeks ago.  Previous to this at the last service and mot by the garage around 8000 miles ago my sump plug stripped it had felt odd for a while.  The garage retapped it for the next size up.  I have dissected my old oil filter and found quite a few metal flakes in the filter medium.  Pictures attached.  The engines runs fine no knocks or rattles.  I am hoping it's swarf from sump plug repair.  Thoughts

I reckon your correct with the theory of it being swarf; 

I would log on to eBay and purchase a magnetic sump plug to match the required size and replace your existing one,

This will catch all of it preventing it from damaging the engine.

• Like 1

is the swarf magnetic?

the sump on my one is alloy

the cams are steel, the variable valve mechanism is steel, the bits that matter in the oil pump are steel rotors inside an alloy housing

I have tried it with magnetic altho it does look like alloy swarf rather than steel.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club