Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Taking the 1.0 over 180 Bhp

Eatonm112

I would like to know if any members here have taken their eco boost 1.0 upto or over 180 Bhp as I am giving it some thought.

Having spent the past few days trying to find out information on this subject I have come up with nothing.

Really interested in CP Performance Level 4 (180 Bhp) And Puma Speed's 205 Bhp if anyone has done this or if you have links to build threads I would appreciate it if you could post them up.

I am aware that the 5 speed box will not like that sort of power and the torque that it comes with so I would also like to hear if anyone has done a 6 speed swap from a focus or one of the new shape Mk8 Fiestas. I have have a 6 speed box from a 123 Bhp Focus in my shed and would very much like to fit it in my Fiesta as some point but would like to know if it is a simple task. I am aware that the gear ratios would need to be adjusted (via software FordScan) to suit the new box or the speedometer would not read correctly and maybe the gear box mount would need to be fabricated.

What about the 6-speed box from the Mk7 ST? Mind you, you're looking at over £3k to fit the Pumaspeed 205 upgrade and ST box. Wouldn't you be better off just buying an ST which comes with everything else you'll need too (more grip, better brakes and suspension etc), not to mention a 1.6l engine that's designed for the power and sporty interior/exterior styling.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Like @TimST2 said, for the money you'd need to spend on doing it, you'd be safer just getting an ST and going from there.  As for adjusting ratios on the Focus gearbox, that can't be done with a computer, manual gearboxes don't contain any software, or control units, they are just a series of shafts, gears and bearings, so there is nothing to adjust, unless you rip the internals out and start replacing things, that's even if that is possible, I doubt anyone will have manufactured any uprated internals for a standard Focus box. Even at that if it was at all possible, you then run into extra costs of needing a new clutch and flywheel, as the standard wont be compatible with the Fiesta block and the Focus box.  Far too much involved, you'd be safer with changing cars, or unfortunately, lowering expectations.

• Like 3

Agreed with Tim and STJay, you’re better off just buying an ST. 

In regards to the box, the MK8 6 speed can handle 215nm according to Getrag, so if you take it up to 180bhp +, your torque is definitely going exceed the 215nm by quite a bit

• Like 3

I can see the appeal in the challenge of doing this  just for the hell of it, but realistically have to agree with the other guys that the sensible option would be to start with an ST in the first place. Pumaspeed's car was featured in Fast Ford mag some time ago and the gearbox was mentioned as giving up the ghost, though the engine internals were apparently ok.

Certainly from a resale point of view the ST would be a better bet, can't see many takers for a 1.0 modded to that degree.

• Like 3

Agree with everyone else, Not only are you just saying "How do I turn my car into a less reliable ST?" You're probably spending more, and also going to have trouble selling it later anyway. 

Not fully sure on prices, but the cost towards those mods and the car itself is probably the cost of a Mk7 ST. Again repeating the others, the challenge could be fun, but you can also push the ST to 250~bhp for a fraction of the cost.

• Like 3

On 12/17/2018 at 2:28 PM, STJAY said:

Like @TimST2 said, for the money you'd need to spend on doing it, you'd be safer just getting an ST and going from there.  As for adjusting ratios on the Focus gearbox, that can't be done with a computer, manual gearboxes don't contain any software, or control units, they are just a series of shafts, gears and bearings, so there is nothing to adjust, unless you rip the internals out and start replacing things, that's even if that is possible, I doubt anyone will have manufactured any uprated internals for a standard Focus box. Even at that if it was at all possible, you then run into extra costs of needing a new clutch and flywheel, as the standard wont be compatible with the Fiesta block and the Focus box.  Far too much involved, you'd be safer with changing cars, or unfortunately, lowering expectations.

I am very aware that you can't adjust the ratios of the gearbox with a laptop:-). I was referring to adjusting the factory set ratios within the ECU that's why I mentioned Fordscan. I know that Puma speed do a conversion kit for the 3 pot 5 speed fiesta and was wondering as to if they done anything along those lines so thought I would just ask and see.

Focus 6 speed and the fiesta 5 speed have the same bell housing pattern as dose the st 6 speed, I think there is some differences with the flywheel and clutch although not too sure. 

I can understand why most sensible people would not even bother with doing something along these lines  as the costs involved are rather high and like you and others have said that money would be far better spent being put towards an ST in the first place.

I have done many mods to my car for the job I do and i am not wanting to part with it just yet as I really do love the character of the 3 cylinder its a great little engine and just wanted to get some information on if anyone has done anything more than a stage 2 re map. 

On 12/17/2018 at 3:01 PM, DG97 said:

Agreed with Tim and STJay, you’re better off just buying an ST. 

In regards to the box, the MK8 6 speed can handle 215nm according to Getrag, so if you take it up to 180bhp +, your torque is definitely going exceed the 215nm by quite a bit

The 6 speed from the Focus can handle 285Nm which is why I went that way.  I actually bought a whole engine and box out of a 2012 Focus that had a head gasket fail due to the return pipe to the header tank fracturing for £150 so it was a no brainier for me.

Its been a lot of fun stripping the engine down and having a look at how parts were designed not to mention all the sensors and other bits I will keep for spares. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club