DAVEWILL5

Brake Pad wear

Hi 

The Edge i have bought has 16,000 miles on it.. 

Just out of interest, what are (or is) the expected mileage for brake pads on the front and rear wheels?

I have the 20" Sport wheels, so don't know if that makes any difference?

Many thanks

Mine's done almost 18k, still on original pads F & R.

Hi All

Just about to hit 20k mileage on originals all round.
It is not really that easy to say how long they would last as there are so many different factors, like how car is driven, weather conditions, other road users, to name but a few that can affect wear n tear as the saying goes.

Happy motoring

Dave

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

I’m with @DavesEdge with just shy of 20,000 on the clock. No issues with brakes at all. I’m a retired traffic cop so would like to think I’d get more mileage out of a set of brake pads than the average motorist but like Dave said there are so many factors that can affect pad wear. I occasionally tow a horse in a trailer and do more short journeys than motorway stuff so that won’t do my wear any favours.  

I'm at 23k and both front and rears look like they have plenty of life left in them.

I've just had my 18K service, and my dealer said, and I can't believe it, my front pads are 70% worn and my front discs are 75% worn and asked me if I'd like them replaced!! I said no, the discs still look new to me. I can understand the pad wear but not the discs more than the pads on a newish car, I done over 100K in a previous car with the same front discs and got through 3 sets of pads, although the discs were a much larger diameter that the tiny ones fitted to the Edge. Mine must be made of lead!!

2019-01-18 20.32.46.jpg

I suppose quality does play a big part. People do like to change pads and disc's at the same time, if they aren't warped scratched or below the minimum depth then chuck another set of pads on.... Get ta moneys worth

2 hours ago, Loz1970 said:

I've just had my 18K service, and my dealer said, and I can't believe it, my front pads are 70% worn and my front discs are 75% worn and asked me if I'd like them replaced!! I said no, the discs still look new to me. I can understand the pad wear but not the discs more than the pads on a newish car, I done over 100K in a previous car with the same front discs and got through 3 sets of pads, although the discs were a much larger diameter that the tiny ones fitted to the Edge. Mine must be made of lead!!

2019-01-18 20.32.46.jpg

75% worn discs ?  I would suggest that’s virtually impossible.  There would be a lip on the discs you could hang a coat hanger with a wet donkey jacket on it !!  Can you take a photo of these dangerously worn discs ?  😂 

75% worn is the difference from new disc thickness to the minimum thickness ford state. So in the front disc on the edge 75% worn equates to 1.125 mm so not enough to hang a coat hanger with a wet donkey jacket on it!! 

52 minutes ago, Edge of Reason said:

75% worn discs ?  I would suggest that’s virtually impossible.  There would be a lip on the discs you could hang a coat hanger with a wet donkey jacket on it !!  Can you take a photo of these dangerously worn discs ?  😂 

Quite easily, it’s based on its ‘recommended’ thickness. For example, 25mm when new with a minimum thickness of 23mm. If it was worn down to 23.5mm then it is 75% worn.

I quite often see cars that have been recommended to have brakes replaced when in actual fact there’s nothing wrong, it’s just sales pitch. 

8 minutes ago, stef123 said:

Quite easily, it’s based on its ‘recommended’ thickness. For example, 25mm when new with a minimum thickness of 23mm. If it was worn down to 23.5mm then it is 75% worn.

I quite often see cars that have been recommended to have brakes replaced when in actual fact there’s nothing wrong, it’s just sales pitch. 

Yep. The edge has new disc thickness of 32mm and the worn brake disc discard thickness is 30.5mm 

Ford dealers use brake disc micrometers to measure thickness and calculate the approximate %worn. 

Pagid-ALB40029.jpg

It's called " duty of care to the customer" 

Services are now at 18k intervals. So will the brakes still be ok by then??(36k)  Err, I doubt it.  Customers are told the wear on discs and pads, decline the repair, then forget until the brakes are grinding and dangerous.

It's useful to be told brake thickness at service, but perfectly fine to change later if it's not urgent to do there and then.

Alrhough if you're the sort of person who's likely to forget then maybe that's not a great idea...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

It amazes me how much the general public rely on servicing and don't do any checks themselves...  

Fairly common for VAG diesel engines to run away and explode due to high oil level from failed regens since the emissions update.  However the oil level doesn't double over night...when asked how often the customers checked the level the answer is usually "Why should I have to check the level when I take it to VW for a service every 2 years"... 😮 :unsure: 

Amazingly people still got their engines replaced for free despite admitting that!