shaz4473

number plate and delivery charge on new car?

Recommended Posts

Car ordered from local Ford dealer, I don't want their number plates and want to supply my own, would it be cheeky to ask them to deduct the '£25 number plates and delivery charge'

Are they likely to say the cost relates to the delivery charge??

I know it's not much but don't want to pay for something twice if I can help it!

Any thoughts?

Edited by shaz4473
spelling error!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Approx the cost of plates is £16 so you can deduct that if you feel the need. 

Are you fitting them yourself or is garage doing it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

garage doing it, going onto a new car

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the sake of a few quid on a new car why not just collect the car with plates on it. How will you drive it away if it doesn't have their plates fitted to it?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

For the sake of a few quid on a new car why not just collect the car with plates on it. How will you drive it away if it doesn't have their plates fitted to it?

 

Take the plates with them to have fitted before they take the car.

I wonder if they'll fit customer supplied plates without the garages branding on them though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Take the plates with them to have fitted before they take the car.

I wonder if they'll fit customer supplied plates without the garages branding on them though...

Why bother, as I say for the sake of a saving of a few quid, I don't see the issue with the faffing about. Pointless.

As long as the plates are legal and have the makers details (pretty sure they have to have the plate creators details on them) then they shouldn't object.

The only stipulation we have made with new cars we have collected is we don't want any stupid stickers on any windows. They can put their name on the reg plates but that is the only advertising we will do for them free of charge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Presumably they have a private plate in gel/4D/pressed metal that they want to keep from a previous car rather than the standard plastic dealer ones.  I can't think of any other reason to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

Why bother, as I say for the sake of a saving of a few quid, I don't see the issue with the faffing about. Pointless.

As long as the plates are legal and have the makers details (pretty sure they have to have the plate creators details on them) then they shouldn't object.

The only stipulation we have made with new cars we have collected is we don't want any stupid stickers on any windows. They can put their name on the reg plates but that is the only advertising we will do for them free of charge.

Talking of stupid stickers, cannot believe people agree/don’t take off the whopping Arnold Clark stickers from the rear window, looks absolutely hideous.

Saw them selling an S Class Merc once with that sticker on the back, couldn’t believe how bad it looked haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I have asked for no stickers to be on the car! 

I think that I will provide the plates(their name on the plate is too big print and too bold for my liking) and ask them to fix them on, already checked they can use sticky pads at customers request and judging by peoples comments best not to say anything about taking the number plate cost off the invoice!

I mistakenly thought that it was for making up a set of number plates but forgot about a cost for fitting them:(

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, first thing I did when i bought my ST was to remove the 'TrustFord' and '16' stickers. Unfortunately the number plates also have the dealer's name on the black bar underneath otherwise I would have applied my FOC stickers there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not much cost in fitting if they use sticky pads. Sticky pads is a lazy way of fitting plates and they do fall off eventually especially is there is any slight curve like on front of some cars. 

When I got my almost new mk6.5 (a few years ago) the dealers sticker at top of back window obscured the view in the mirror so much as I would say it affected safety.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just being fussy but I much prefer plates on without being screwed in.  Current Fiesta plates have been on 12 years no problem.   Let's hope that they don't put them on squint - that's another thing I hate to see when sat behind a car in traffic.  I know there a lot of worse thing happening in the world but can't help my OCD!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2019 at 1:14 PM, DG97 said:

Talking of stupid stickers, cannot believe people agree/don’t take off the whopping Arnold Clark stickers from the rear window, looks absolutely hideous.

Saw them selling an S Class Merc once with that sticker on the back, couldn’t believe how bad it looked haha

Agreed!! Arnold Clark is a very common sticker. Friend of a friend of mine bought a 335i (drives like a **** as standard) from them and was *apparently* told that removal would cancel his warranty and/or service with them. Not sure how that would be enforceable but he removed anyway and it left an awful glue residue on the privacy glass - had to buy some product to remove. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update on the plate and sticker obsession of mine!!

Went to pick up the car and aaaggghhh the dreaded sticker was on the back window which the salesman then took a good 5-10 mins to remove.  It was then announced to me 'your number plates are definitely going to fall off so there is a set of plates in the boot for you'.  I was told that it is because the new Fiesta has foam at the back and the stickers won't stick to foam and once they get wet they will fall off.  I am now a bit paranoid about the plates that are currently on the car so can anyone comment on this and if possible recommend the best double sided tape to use on them as I am definitely not wanting the plates with drilled holes and Arnold Clark being fitted at any time and would prefer to take the plates off and start again.  I have on more than one occasion got out of the car and checked the plates before heading into the house - ridiculous!!!  

On the plus side they did take off the number plate charge as I provided my own but strangely received the set from them also.  I think perhaps the salesman didn't note down that I was taking in my own plates and they had been made up in error.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The foam is meant to stop plates from flapping about and damaging the paint.
Even if you don't want to make holes in the plates why not just fit plate holders using the existing holes in the bodywork?

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2019 at 8:59 PM, DEVSR2 said:

Agreed!! Arnold Clark is a very common sticker. Friend of a friend of mine bought a 335i (drives like a **** as standard) from them and was *apparently* told that removal would cancel his warranty and/or service with them. Not sure how that would be enforceable but he removed anyway and it left an awful glue residue on the privacy glass - had to buy some product to remove. 

It isn't -- just Arnold shark being Arnold shark. I'd never do anything but buy a car from them - service elsewhere and use other ford dealers for warranty work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.