Do Not Sell My Personal Information

car wont turn over

willmagill

hi everyone im new to fords this is my first one.

my problem is that after an emergency stop I stalled the motor when I tried to restart all ignition lights came on but fully turning the key 

there was nothing not even a click as there was no handbook with the car im stuck big time.

any suggestions as to what the problem might be and how to fix it. many thanks.

I am wondering if there is some kind of inertia switch which needs resetting. I know some cars had these so that in the event of a crash it would stop the engine. But I have an idea when they activate it stops the fuel pump working but does not stop the starter turning. But who knows what else the makers might have done on more modern cars. 

I just googled it and it suggests the petrol one has such a switch but not the diesel but hard to know for sure as makers change things in different years

6 hours ago, isetta said:

I am wondering if there is some kind of inertia switch which needs resetting. I know some cars had these so that in the event of a crash it would stop the engine. But I have an idea when they activate it stops the fuel pump working but does not stop the starter turning. But who knows what else the makers might have done on more modern cars. 

Stops the fuel pumping to lessen the chance of a fire if the lines rupture and as you say stop the engine 👍🏼

9 hours ago, willmagill said:

when I tried to restart all ignition lights came on but fully turning the key there was nothing not even a click

I have looked for an inertia cut-off switch on my TDCI, and not found it. As there is no electric fuel pump at all on a Focus diesel, there is no need for the switch.

When you turn the key to start, there are two clicks. There is a relay in the engine bay fusebox, with a very slight click you will not hear in the cabin. And the solenoid on the starter motor with a much louder click. If the fusebox relay is clicking, but not the solenoid, that would narrow it down quite a lot, to the starter or its wiring. F13 in the engine bay fuse box, the smaller wire to the soleniod, and the heavy earth wire back to the battery are all in that circuit. 

If the wiring was getting dodgy, especially the thick heavy ones, then the stress of a rapid stop may have finished it off.

Sometimes giving the solenoid a good thump with a bit of wood can free it, I used to have to do this on my Cortina at one time, but I used an old starting handle I found somewhere, to hit it.

If the relay is not clicking then first look for any unusual lights on or off, or dash indications, compared to before. The only fuse I can see in the relay coil circuit is F11, but this also powers just about all ignition switch functions, so would be obvious if it had gone.