Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wet-belt or chain _ 1.8tdci Jan 2008

backhom-07-est

Hi 

I'm of the understanding that 98-13 lynx engines were originally designed with chain in the lower engine and Dayco then designed the wet belt in 2007. Glen Goldstone of Dayco said the chain was still used late 07/early 08.

I'm hopeful therefore, that my jan-08 Mondeo has a chain fitted. Is there actually a way to find out without removing a good part of the engine?

Thanks

Remove the chain or belt tensioner. You can tell them apart by the shape of the end of it. It’s a bit of a faff to get at, it hides at the back of the engine under the power steering pump. 

Thanks stef123, would i need to do any steps before this? Like locking the camshaft? Can the tensioner be removed without affecting the timing?

Don’t need to touch timing or anything like that but be warned it’s quite awkward to get into. 

The attached pic is of the engine stripped down to replace the wet belt but you don’t need to do this. Power steering pump unbolted and swing it out the way will allow access. The red circle is where the tensioner screws in.

AD9E7F6F-D3BA-4727-81AC-9DF8B08DD4EA.jpeg

• Like 1

Appreciate that thank you, will report back when i get chance 👍