Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ST/ST line suspension

Joel Bavidge

Bit of a random question but does anyone know if the mk8 ST and ST line share the same springs and dampers?

I don't know for sure but it would be very unlikely.  To get a similar level of ride and handing with 2 very different engine weights requires different spring and damping rates.

I highly doubt they would be the same. I think the ST suspension is 15mm lower than a standard fiesta and the ST-Line is only 10mm lower than a standard fiesta. I'm pretty sure the ST also uses stiffer suspension than the ST-Line too. 

Yeah I'd say they won't be exactly identical as it would have to take account the engine weight. 

Okay thanks. I thought they would be different. Just wanted to know so in future if I’m buying suspension parts I’ll know they have to be specifically for the ST.

Yes, they are in fact pretty different I understand, particularly at the rear where the springs are in effect curved to help locate the axle.

There was an editorial piece in this week's "Autocar" where the writer was of the opinion that the suspension was great for a blast but maybe too much for every day use (though, like me, sadly, the writer was well past the first flush of youth, so that may have something to do with it.😀)

I find the ST-Line suspension a pretty good compromise actually given the state of most of the "roads" I have to drive on. Not had a decent go in a Mk 8 ST yet, but certainly couldn't have lived with the previous version as a daily driver.

In a word, no.

The Mk8 ST has teneco dampers front and rear which the ST-line does not.

The Mk8 ST also has "banana" springs on the rear, which the ST-line does not.

The front springs on the ST will also be set for the 1.5 EB its ancillaries and the heavier B6 gearbox.

• 1 month later...

I have ST line new ford focus bit firmer feeling road too much for mine weak back,  I need to change new buy car maybe to Escape model.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club