Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ST + ST-Line the new Corsa?

robbyvrs

Reading posts on forums and on FB groups i keep seeing more owners fitting things like straight through backboxes, etc. Hearing them on their videos they sound like the corsas did a few years ago (not in a good way) which is why i'm wondering if the ST and ST-Line models in particular are now the boy racer cars of choice.

I'm not young anymore but do modify my cars from subtle looks (decals) to improved performance (induction hoses, panel filter, etc) but can't understand a straight through exhaust which sounds chavvy and the crackle maps to give pops and bangs which to me make the car sound like it's knackered?

I look after my cars and take pride where a lot of these people thrash their cars off the red live so they can show off their pops/ crackles/ bangs (Rice Krispies anyone) - am i missing something?

3 minutes ago, robbyvrs said:

Reading posts on forums and on FB groups i keep seeing more owners fitting things like straight through backboxes, etc. Hearing them on their videos they sound like the corsas did a few years ago (not in a good way) which is why i'm wondering if the ST and ST-Line models in particular are now the boy racer cars of choice.

I'm not young anymore but do modify my cars from subtle looks (decals) to improved performance (induction hoses, panel filter, etc) but can't understand a straight through exhaust which sounds chavvy and the crackle maps to give pops and bangs which to me make the car sound like it's knackered?

I look after my cars and take pride where a lot of these people thrash their cars off the red live so they can show off their pops/ crackles/ bangs (Rice Krispies anyone) - am i missing something?

I think any car that is somewhat cheap to buy and run especially insurance costs and also looks good which the ST and ST Line do has the potential for this - VAG group cars like the Polo, Golfs, Ibiza's and the hideous Lupo. The ST's and ST-Lines become cheaper and cheaper as time goes on and are a tasty buy on the second hand market which is maybe why their popularity is increasing but in all fairness, I've been aware of the boy racer and Fiesta link for quite a while but don't think it's much different to the VAG group cars I mention. 

I'm of the age which could be in-line with the boy racer stereotype but do agree with you that straight through exhausts etc in most implementations are not fantastic. I like modifications that make the car better in some way be that the looks, performance or noise but a lot of the stuff that people put on just isnt my cup of tea. 

In accordance with the young boy racer stereotype, I did actually play around briefly with the idea of fitting a new exhaust to my MK8 but having heard some of the youtube videos I thought it sounded almost awful so decided against it. 

All in all I think it's just the age thing - the cars have had plenty of time to become affordable (like the Corsa's where) and there are a lot of different companies out there offering a lot of products (of varying quality) and thus there's plenty of choice that won't break the bank and achieves the desired effect - a modified (probably undeclared) vehicle which is loud and full of extra kit which some find tasteful and others don't.  I suppose some may see a modification on someone's car where it looks good and think they can pull it off on their vehicle when the reality is they can't 

But to add - if the Fiesta takes over the hated Corsa chavvy stereotype - i think i'll be going back to blending in with a Toyota 😛

I guess with all the PCP and PCH deals these cars are affordable to young drivers who do the cheap mods. The cars themselves aren't the cheap £2k Corsas which were common as i paid just under £14k for my used 500 mile old car where a new 1 like my previous was RRP at £21k with the options

Still lots of Corsa's round here but also lots of Skoda's too. Could be that there is a vauxhall garage in this town and that's about it.

Yeah I like to mod too but I know what it is and I don't want my car sounding like a farting hippo at every speed, I'd get a headache

One negative thing I have found with my car is that it seems to be a magnet for d***heads who seem to want to prove that their beat up Corsa (and it usually is a Corsa), is way faster from the lights, overtaking in the face of oncoming traffic etc. Do you guys get that? - particularly Rob, who I know also has a red one, which seems to provoke them even more!

• Like 1

Yep i find that the case Eric - tailgaters are the most annoying then drivers who driver under the speed limit to slow you down (35 in a 60 zone on my way home from work most days)

Some drivers tailgate but wont overtake as they can see i have a dashcam, i might fit a rear camera as well but not sure if they would notice it throught the rear privacy glass (factory tinted)?

Having said all this blazing past said Knackered Corsa's in a 5 door tends to produce some interesting faces

Probably check out the STs. Guy on YouTube got one and changed the exhaust. 3 cylinder cars do sound good. 

Ford ST's have been known as Ford Asbo's in my area as long as I can remember.

Nothing new imo. Some just like doing that sort of thing to their car.

Nah sorry nothing shouts Chav more than the Corsa D 1.2 limited edition and any corsa C

6 minutes ago, BJT said:

Nah sorry nothing shouts Chav more than the Corsa D 1.2 limited edition and any corsa C

I hate that it's referred to as the "limited edition" when it's one of the most popular trim levels. 

Is the ST the new Corsa? Good God no!

I'm not sure about the Mk8, but the factory Mk7 ST with the Style Pack is perfect (slightly boy-racer without being chavvy). If anything the Mk8 is toned-down a little.

4 hours ago, TimST2 said:

Is the ST the new Corsa? Good God no!

I'm not sure about the Mk8, but the factory Mk7 ST with the Style Pack is perfect (slightly boy-racer without being chavvy). If anything the Mk8 is toned-down a little.

I was referring to some of the drivers not the cars as such.

I had a Corsa 1.4 SRi new back in 2012, looked nice in white but struggled up hills - lasted 2 months, had a Corsa VXR in arden blue with black 18"s - lasted 2 weeks as the ride was so hard (traded for a Clio RS200 which was comfy). 

i've owned most of the hot hatches over the years so guess i'm kind of a boy (now old man) racer but after leaving the Impreza times with straight through Blitz exhausts (had 3) i like to keep things tasteful/ subtle

On 3/26/2019 at 5:01 PM, DG97 said:

I hate that it's referred to as the "limited edition" when it's one of the most popular trim levels. 

Literally baiting the chavs to buy them

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club