Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sync & Map updates -- beware Sierra browser

Cloth Tabs

Download the latest Sync & Map updates from https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources-and-support/sync-bluetooth/update#/

I have a Macbook Pro laptop and tried to download the latest maps (version F8) for my Fiesta Titanium 2018 using Apple's Sierra browser.

Please Beware that although Sierra is an excellent browser I don't think it is suitable for this download !!

Sierra started to downloaded a file named Map_25013789187_Update.zip.download and on completion named it Map_25013789187_Update.zip which was 25.08 GB in size.

It then automatically started to decompress this zip file and generated a folder called Map+25013789187_Update which contained :- SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-TJB.tar.gz      25KB

SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G421-BD.tar.gz       16.35GB   SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G424-BD.tar.gz        2KB    DONTINDX.MSA          Zero bytes

which is not what I was expecting according to Ford's USB Update Instructions for Sync 3 Map Data  --  Note:-  No top level folder called SyncMyRide , only 3 tar.gz files (there should be 6 ) and no  auto install.lst file.

So i switched to using a Firefox browser and downloaded the maps again. This time the downloaded file was called Map_25013789187_Update.zip and 25.02 GB in size.

I then used iZip to read this file and view the archive which showed all of the files and folder expected, which I then dragged into my flash drive memory stick (Sandisk 64GB)

See Screenshots below.   

Pleased to say that I have now successfully updated my maps. So the moral of this tale :-  Beware of the Sierra  browser

673359682_Screenshotrootlevel.thumb.png.7739453f9f5b397527b8b7d77b3dec0b.png1189326253_ScreenshotSyncMyRidefiles.thumb.png.499c201bcc257b655a77dd904736950b.png  

HI 

Sierra is generally automatically set to auto unzip files.  Under preferences / general  untick 'open safe' files and all will be well.

Sierra?  Don’t you mean Safari?

3 hours ago, Sjwhite said:

HI 

Sierra is generally automatically set to auto unzip files.  Under preferences / general  untick 'open safe' files and all will be well.

This ☝️.  It’s one of the apple convenience features that ends up being more of a pain!

Alas Ford say my I don’t need an update when I put in my vin (it’s a 2017 car) so it looks like I’m stuck on F7 🙄.

16 hours ago, tarbyonline said:

Sierra?  Don’t you mean Safari?

This ☝️.  It’s one of the apple convenience features that ends up being more of a pain!

Alas Ford say my I don’t need an update when I put in my vin (it’s a 2017 car) so it looks like I’m stuck on F7 🙄.

You are quite right, I should have written Safari Browser instead of Sierra Browser.

Sorry about that, another senior moment !

On 6/12/2019 at 5:49 PM, Cloth Tabs said:

You are quite right, I should have written Safari Browser instead of Sierra Browser.

Sorry about that, another senior moment !

lol, no worries.  You had me scratching my head for a moment!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club