Angelshauny

Fiesta lx 52 plate exhaust help

Okay, I’m in need of a bit of help. My Fiesta lx 52 plate is due her MOT next month and I know my exhaust needs replacing. Not just the back box but the centre linkage too. The two pieces are quite rusted and pretty much rusted together so I cannot change one without the other. I have the backbox but I am having trouble finding a centre linkage pipe.

Beastie (my car’s name)has a centre silencer on her linkage pipe as well as a flexi-pipe at the engine end. This is all one pipe, there are no connection points or joins to make me think that she has been altered, that and the previous owners were not “car people” and wouldn’t have made any alterations to her. I have a spotty service history for her and it is obvious she has had some engine repairs that I have no documentation for, so I don’t know when or why they were carried out. My MAJOR issue is that I cannot find a matching exhaust centre linkage and I am hoping some of you lovely people can help me out with a supplier or part number? I have the Haynes manual, it isn’t much help. I have the Ford books that come with the car, also no help. Is anyone able to lend a lady a bit of knowledge?

My dad is a bit of a mechanic so we are taking some time at the end of this month to give her a bit of an overhaul and a service, we do have some minor fixes to do like an oil leak, split rocker gasket and replacing the fuel line as well as the usual brake disks and pads, filter changes and so on. I won’t need a garage as we are fully supplied, pit and all.

Oh and I live in South Wales.

Thanks in advance

If you have the equipment etc do you have welding stuff. I say this because often exhausts can be repaired, eg if you say the middle bit needs replacing because it is rusted to the back part, can’t you cut it off and then weld in another bit of pipe cut off an old exhaust laying around? So as only to replace back box and not middle bit

my wife is annoyed that I have various old bits of exhaust pipes in our shed. But you never know when you might need a bit of pipe if a certain diameter

Annoyingly the welder blew up last month, tried fixing it, it just keeps blowing. So no, no welder 😔

The exhausts were originally fitted as one piece at the factory before the rear suspension axle.  This means the exhaust has to be cut to replace the backbox in future.

I'm guessing yours is a very early 1.3l petrol?  I wasn't aware of any Mk6 coming with a centre box but having just checked the parts catalogue, the 1.3 did come with a centre box, but only between May and August 2002!!  None of the others did, and as a result, you won't find any aftermarket manufacturers producing them.  I'd suggest that you'll either have to repair yours as Isetta suggests (a local exhaust place may weld it up for £30 or so, cheaper than buying another welder!) OR just buy the type without the centre silencer, there are loads of those available online. :smile:  

Mine is indeed very early, first registered in 2002 I believe. It’s nice to put an month (ish) date on it, thanks!

i have just ordered a Klarius centre pipe with a flexi hose, lets just hope it fits. I will keep you all updated and will be documenting my service on it if anyone is interested.

wish me luck!