Raj123456789

New feista 1.5 tdci problem

Car is 6 months old done 2000+ miles wrench light come on twice. Both time dealers changed oil 6 weeks apart and said brought the wrong car for the amount of miles we are doing will charge to change oil next time. " Nothing wrong with the car.

Anyone else has this problem?

What sort of daily journeys do you do? What is the oil level like? 

For it to come on as often as that is unusual but if there are no issues with the car, then I am not surprised the dealer will want to charge for further oil changes. 

Really short journeys in a diesel won’t be doing the “oil life” much good and you’re also likely to get DPF issues as it simply won’t get chance to regen

I suspect the root of the problem is the DPF regen cycle. My understanding is that periodically when driving the computer brain floods loads of extra diesel into the engine. This causes a higher temperature in the exhaust which burns off the soot in the particle filter. If it did not do that the particle filter will clog up causing other problems. The problem is that if you stop driving just after it has started the diesel flooding, that extra diesel seeps down into the oil and thins the oil and makes the oil level too high.

But there will be nothing on the dashboard to tell you it is going through this cycle. If there was, you could maybe know to thrash the car round the block a few times until it has finished the cycle. One clue it is doing it is the radiator cooling fans will be going flat out. It is also said that you can tell by the engine note (rougher) but I have never been able to tell that on mine.

Luckily I do about 16k miles PA and have not had a problem.

If you bought a ELM327 OBD code reader (eg from Tunnelrat electronics) and use Forscan software on a laptop / tablet/ i phone/android phone (software free for Windows, about 7 quid for android/apple) you can see how many miles it has done since last regeneration cycle and you can also force it to do a regeneration so it's when you want it done and not when the car thinks the time is right even though you might be parking on your drive 10 seconds later.

This is not just a Ford problem.

Friends of mind had exactly the same sort of issues with their Fiesta diesel, which was used for low mileage/short trips, and got the same sort of comments from the service department. They hadn't really explained their sort of usage to the salesman, who in turn hadn't asked the question either. In the end the dealer did them a decent deal to swap to a petrol - no more problems.