Sikell

07 mk2 1.6 tdci focus oil leak

Hi I have a mk2 focus 1.6 tdci that after driving to work, I noticed oil on the driver side wing and upon lifting the bonnet it seems to have sprayed from somewhere near the timing belt/engine mount, I can’t really tell exactly where from but it’s a little alarming to say the least does anyone have any idea what or where this could be from. Any suggestions welcome, many thanks in advance. Simon from Somerset 

How much oil?  There is a little bit in the top engine mount that can spray out when the mount fails.

Could also be a boost leak on the intake pipes.  I can't see it coming from the engine as all the oil seals on that side are covered by the cambelt cover.

Hi, many thanks for your suggestion, but there was enough oil that sprayed out for it to have worked it’s way thru a closed bonnet and leave a very visible at least 1ft long dark black oil mark on the driver side wing from the gap between the wing and bonnet and then trickle down the wing itself, I understand it’s not really possible to appreciate the severity of what I describe without any photos, I am currently working on site and am unable to get back to my car until 3pm at the earliest, I really do appreciate any help or advice available and will upload some photos later this afternoon. Thanks again for yours and any other advice or replies posted. Simon Somerset 

Does sound very odd to have come out sideways and past a closed bonnet. :unsure:  Hopefully the pictures can help us pinpoint it later.  

As I said earlier here are a few photos that I have just taken 

2204C9FB-86EE-44A9-810D-2A47E2C65C0E.jpeg

56F6AAE3-FD26-49D3-ADE3-546F215A142F.jpeg

F51C1541-EB70-4EBA-82D7-B3EBA45D05FD.jpeg

E19B812F-3FC9-467F-9CB5-CFA8B0A018F6.jpeg

AFA29037-2040-4514-B696-CAD5A427651C.jpeg

1F2528F6-F3B4-433B-AAA4-FE5CC6084AAC.jpeg

Erm...ok. 😮

I don't think I've ever seen that happen without a blown turbo or a conrod through the block!! 

Did it drive alright?  No rattles or oil warning light on?  How much oil is left on the disptick?

Have you tried running it and watching for the oil spray?

What's odd is that the oil filter and the high pressure turbo oil pipe are both on the other side.  

Is it definitely engine oil?  The PAS pump is located right under the OSF headlight so it would make more sense for it to be a burst PAS hose although I agree it looks pretty disgusting to be PAS fluid.

Hi again I’ve had no problems with steering or anything else for that matter, no warning lights no nothing and the dipstick is reading minimum

You weren't driving close to the Gulf of Oman recently?  

Few tankers looking similar to your side fender

42 minutes ago, Sikell said:

Hi again I’ve had no problems with steering or anything else for that matter, no warning lights no nothing and the dipstick is reading minimum

Hmm, I'm not sure we're going to be able to diagnose this over the internet.  Unless you can see the oil spray with the engine running you'll have to wash it off with plenty of degreaser and then run it again to see where it's coming from.  It's just too much of a mess for us to even guess.  Could potentially be a cracked/warped block or headgasket, or possibly camshaft oil seals.  Don't think a sump leak would blow that far up.