Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chuffing eck

megadethmaniac

New to The forum and to Ford.  First Ford having owned Fiat`s Vauxhalls Citreons Peugeots and Hondas

Purchased and old S MAX 56 plate a couple of weeks ago 1.8tdci, 82k on the clock and plenty of service history including the Cam Belt.

Noticed at the weekend when driving it makes a chuffing noise in 3rd gear around 2-2500rpm.  When Mrs drove it tonight and was parking up I noticed it again.

Anyone know what I mean and is it something to worry about?  Might just be a "character" of the engine

Lots of people looking but no one  venturing a view?

Did wonder if it might be the turbo releasing pressure early?  Car seems to go well enough and have been caught out by a fair bit of boost on one occasion unlike my previous Turbo diesel experience where boost seemed pretty linear and i never encountered any obvious waste gate action.

Otherwise is there any noise from dpf filters, I now understand some 1.8`s are fitted with DPF and others arn`t.  Cant get into Fords database on this for the car but the vin plate has 1.82 bottom right corner, does this mean anything? 

3 hours ago, megadethmaniac said:

Car seems to go well enough and have been caught out by a fair bit of boost on one occasion unlike my previous Turbo diesel experience where boost seemed pretty linear and i never encountered any obvious waste gate action.

The 1.8TDCI has an electronically actuated variable vane turbo, and mine is certainly very progressive and smooth, gradually increasing boost pressure from quite low throttle openings up to max power. So a sticky or faulty turbo actuator is one possibility.

But if it also happened at near idle rpm while parking, the turbo should not be in use then.

Any chance of catching the noise on video?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club