Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre valve stems

mjt

I had a pair of tyres replaced on our Mk3 3 years ago and this year the MOT threw up an advisory on cracked/perished valve stems. It's quite evident, when I push the stem sideways a series of cracks open up near the base.

This seems to me a very short time but before I go back and get fed a load of B/S I'd be grateful if anyone can give me an idea of how long valve stems should last. Is it possible they would have fitted the tyres without replacing the valves? The tyres were replaced as part of a full service by my local Ford franchise and new valves are not itemised on the invoice.

do you have tyre pressure sensors? are they the type where the transmitter is on the bottom of the valve stem inside the tyre? 

If it's one of those I'm not sure if the valve stems are replaced every time as it's not as straightforward as the old days.

No, the car doesn't have TPMS.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club