sm1ffy

Mondeo mk4 smell of petrol

Recommended Posts

Hi all, 

I'm hoping you can help with ideas for my problem. The last few times I have put petrol in the car I have noticed a smell of fuel inside the cabin, tonight I put some in and it seemed stronger and I had to open the window. I checked the engine when I got home and there are no visible leaks there or underneath the car.

The car was given a full service around 3 weeks ago and also had a new backbox fitted on the exhaust. I'm pretty stumped and welcome anyone that has had the same problem, many thanks in advance

 

Craig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any signs of it a leak or spill in the back of the car

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gg1234635 said:

Any signs of it a leak or spill in the back of the car

No nothing I can see at all. It smells for a little while after fueling and eventually disappears and only comes back for a while once I put fuel in again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just thought.  It might be the fuel senor on the fuel tank.  it goes into the fuel tank from the inside of the car.  When you put fuel in the car do you fill it up full or just a splash and dash? if its a full tank.  Do you get the smell on a splash and dash?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, gg1234635 said:

Just thought.  It might be the fuel senor on the fuel tank.  it goes into the fuel tank from the inside of the car.  When you put fuel in the car do you fill it up full or just a splash and dash? if its a full tank.  Do you get the smell on a splash and dash?

Usually I'll put in around 30 a week but seemed stronger tonight when I put 50 in? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i would check around the boot and under the rear seats and see if you can find anything that might relate to it.  I just check my old haynes manual and i cant find anything in that that would relate to your issue.  If you are only getting the smell from filling it up it would be around the wheel arch side of the car so check around that under the mats and carpet as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, gg1234635 said:

i would check around the boot and under the rear seats and see if you can find anything that might relate to it.  I just check my old haynes manual and i cant find anything in that that would relate to your issue.  If you are only getting the smell from filling it up it would be around the wheel arch side of the car so check around that under the mats and carpet as well

Ok thanks I will look around that area tomorrow, thanks for your help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a thought, but when my fuel pump packed up on my old Mondeo, my mechanic accessed it from under the rear seat, maybe you have a fault around that area?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.