Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stereo Problem!!!

JonnyFordFocus

Hi,

today i fitted my aftermarket head unit in my new car, a ford focus. Its the same aftermarket head unit i used in my old car and i had no problems. After i fit it today it worked fine. About three hours later i went back out and the car started but choked a little bit. Another three hours later and ive gone out again to find that the electrics seem to have gone. The car wouldn't start electric stuff like the interior lights, stereo, dashoboard lights etc came on and went off and there was a faint thud sound and then everything went. There seems to be a little bit of life in it but theres definitely a problem with the electrics caused by the head unit fitting...

I'd be greatful for any help please!!!!

Cheers

Hi,

today i fitted my aftermarket head unit in my new car, a ford focus. Its the same aftermarket head unit i used in my old car and i had no problems. After i fit it today it worked fine. About three hours later i went back out and the car started but choked a little bit. Another three hours later and ive gone out again to find that the electrics seem to have gone. The car wouldn't start electric stuff like the interior lights, stereo, dashoboard lights etc came on and went off and there was a faint thud sound and then everything went. There seems to be a little bit of life in it but theres definitely a problem with the electrics caused by the head unit fitting...

I'd be greatful for any help please!!!!

Cheers

did you use a connector between the heaf unit and the ford wiring? sounds like the wiring is wrong causing battery drain like this post-8800-126834241678_thumb.jpg ive included the correct wiring im assuming youres is the same . the head unit you fitted did it switch on with the engine off and key out of the ignition? it shouldnt the focus has a switched feed so the headunit should only switch on with the ignition switched tio the acc position sounds to me like you have got those wires mixed up and youre providing it with constant power hence the battery drain. if youve cut the wires to fit then you need a multimeter or connect the original ford plugs back on and get a proper connector

Thanks for your reply,

I decided in the end to just put the old h/u back in to see if that helped and its back to normal and seems to be working fine whereas before there was no electrics at all, any idea how the aftermarket h/u could have caused this to happen???

Thanks for your reply,

I decided in the end to just put the old h/u back in to see if that helped and its back to normal and seems to be working fine whereas before there was no electrics at all, any idea how the aftermarket h/u could have caused this to happen???

did you have the plugs in the pic i posted these should connect to the original ford plugs then to the iso plug for the head unit if it had one youre wiring isnt right basically thats the cause you need th eplugs shown in the pic

did you have the plugs in the pic i posted these should connect to the original ford plugs then to the iso plug for the head unit if it had one youre wiring isnt right basically thats the cause you need th eplugs shown in the pic

pardon the diagram its a basic quicky but youll get the idea of how it should work without chopping wires post-8800-126842366316_thumb.png

pardon the diagram its a basic quicky but youll get the idea of how it should work without chopping wires post-8800-126842366316_thumb.png

Yep theyre the plugs i had and thats exactly how i fitted it. I checked over it when i swapped them back and im sure i did it correctly, ive fitted h/u's before for my myself and mates with no problems. I did also fit the stalk adapter which i havnt done before though but it seemed really straight forward.

Yep theyre the plugs i had and thats exactly how i fitted it. I checked over it when i swapped them back and im sure i did it correctly, ive fitted h/u's before for my myself and mates with no problems. I did also fit the stalk adapter which i havnt done before though but it seemed really straight forward.

all i can thin is the wires from the headunit plug werent matching up with the ford plug ie power to power and so on if its a kenwood or pioneer a lot come with there own connector available seperately for different cars cutting out the ford plug altogether and just going head unit to ford wiring via there own plug