Da9L

Need some advice for a Fiesta Mk8 with Sync 2.5

Hi everyone! First post here

I bought my self my first Ford back in February this year, a Ford Fiesta Mk8 1.0 Ecoboost with 140hp. And so far its been an okay experience. However i got one with a Sync version of 2.5 instead of 3. I did this because my only requirement was that it was able to run Android Auto, which it is. However I've noticed that when i do run with Android auto, no clock or signal is shown. At first i thouhgt that was something i needed to enable somewhere, but after further trying to fix it, I've come to the conclusion that this is because of my car, and not my Phone. If i plug it into my friends Focus mk3, which has Sync 3, the clock shows up just fine.

Heres a picture of what I'm talking about

The main problem is that, when I'm in Android Auto i can't even tell what time it is. 

Is there a way for me to get Sync 3 in my Fiesta ? I figured it _should_ be possible somehow, since the hardware is most likely very capable of running it and possibly even the same as cars with Sync 3.

I spoke to my local dealer but they really do not know anything about this kind of stuff. They also told me that they wont even change the unit to a Sync 3 one if i paid for it, since Fords policy on this stuff is that once you have bought a car, it is tied to what it is bought with, so I'm a little unsure what to do now. 

I've attached a picture below with my software version

20190329_065536.jpg

57 minutes ago, Da9L said:

Hi everyone! First post here

I bought my self my first Ford back in February this year, a Ford Fiesta Mk8 1.0 Ecoboost with 140hp. And so far its been an okay experience. However i got one with a Sync version of 2.5 instead of 3. I did this because my only requirement was that it was able to run Android Auto, which it is. However I've noticed that when i do run with Android auto, no clock or signal is shown. At first i thouhgt that was something i needed to enable somewhere, but after further trying to fix it, I've come to the conclusion that this is because of my car, and not my Phone. If i plug it into my friends Focus mk3, which has Sync 3, the clock shows up just fine.

Heres a picture of what I'm talking about

The main problem is that, when I'm in Android Auto i can't even tell what time it is. 

Is there a way for me to get Sync 3 in my Fiesta ? I figured it _should_ be possible somehow, since the hardware is most likely very capable of running it and possibly even the same as cars with Sync 3.

I spoke to my local dealer but they really do not know anything about this kind of stuff. They also told me that they wont even change the unit to a Sync 3 one if i paid for it, since Fords policy on this stuff is that once you have bought a car, it is tied to what it is bought with, so I'm a little unsure what to do now. 

I've attached a picture below with my software version

20190329_065536.jpg

how did you order one with sync 2.5 they all come with sync 3 standard? 

This Sync 2.5 must be one of the rarest things I've seen for a while lol, guess it must be a local market thing though as in the UK, Sync 3 is the base software version. Though saying that, I wasn't even aware that Sync 2.5 was a thing.

What happens when you go to the updates page on the Ford website? Are there any updates available for your software there? It goes off your VIN number and if anything is available, it will be downloadable from the website. 

I cannot image that Ford themselves would support an upgrade of 2.5 to 3. My best bet would be having to find a Sync 3 unit and retrofitting it. Can't image there would be more viable ways of doing it. Like you say though, your dealer wont do it so you're left either trying to find someone to do it for you or having a go yourself. 

32 minutes ago, jakephillips05 said:

how did you order one with sync 2.5 they all come with sync 3 standard? 

Here in Denmark it is a thing you can choose when ordering the car. But I've heard that normally Sync 3 is the standard normally in other countries which is also why i hope i can get Sync 3 on it somehow.

17 minutes ago, DG97 said:

This Sync 2.5 must be one of the rarest things I've seen for a while lol, guess it must be a local market thing though as in the UK, Sync 3 is the base software version. Though saying that, I wasn't even aware that Sync 2.5 was a thing.

What happens when you go to the updates page on the Ford website? Are there any updates available for your software there? It goes off your VIN number and if anything is available, it will be downloadable from the website. 

I cannot image that Ford themselves would support an upgrade of 2.5 to 3. My best bet would be having to find a Sync 3 unit and retrofitting it. Can't image there would be more viable ways of doing it. Like you say though, your dealer wont do it so you're left either trying to find someone to do it for you or having a go yourself. 

Yes and as above, i believe that due to the fact that Sync 3 is the only thing you can get in most countries, Sync 2.5, as i have, run on Sync 3 hardware. So i believe i can update it somehow.

Untill a few months back, when i tried to search for updates on Ford's website by entering my VIN number, i was told that my car wasn't even fitted with Sync at all. Now i get a message telling me that no updates are available. 

Seems like i will have to go see if i can find another unit and replace it my self. Just wondering what that would do with my warranty. And where to find such a unit

Thinking about it, maybe i should try and just install a Sync 3 update from another persons Fiesta, that already has Sync 3 ? Could that maybe work ?

1 hour ago, Da9L said:

Thinking about it, maybe i should try and just install a Sync 3 update from another persons Fiesta, that already has Sync 3 ? Could that maybe work ?

There are Sync 3 units about on online marketplaces like eBay etc, not many of them but you can find some. Though any interference with that is going to void your warranty for any parts related to the multimedia system. 

I don’t think installing a Sync 3 update to Sync 2.5 will work as it’s not the same base software. A little bit like trying to update Windows 7 with a Windows 10 update and expecting the end result to be Windows 10. 

Hope you do find a solution though and it might be worth browsing through the internet to see if there’s anyone who offers the service to swap the units around.