Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Updates over WiFi!

Jim610

Has Ford started pushing updates out via WiFi/Internet?

The reason I ask is I got in my car today and on the Sync 3 display where the WiFi symbol usually sits there was a big fat down arrow.  When I selected it to see what was going on I got a splash screen stating Sync 3 had been updated.  I've not been near the car with a USB stick.

One for the Ford gurus amongst us on here.

Jim

• Like 1

I noticed that after I did the last official update via usb last week.
Nothing official has been released saying that wifi updates now work in the UK, would be nice if it's now available.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've been getting a message on mine at every start up (when I'm within Wi-Fi range) for a while now, saying "downloading new update". Nothing has changed yet, though, still showing the same build number. It would indeed be nice if it has now started working.

• Like 1

On the subject of updates, does anyone who uses the M6/M1 junction know if the road layout on the latest mapping has always shown the correct lane direction structure ?  I’ve just been down there and the last time is used it, when heading south from M6 onto M1, it used to tell me to use the right hand lanes when the latest road markings directed me to the left lanes. Today the mapping correctly directed me to the left hand lanes. I’m sure it was wrong AFTER the last map update but is now correct. I haven’t performed any manual updates so wondered if it had updated itself over WiFi. 

Hi Ian

I posted about the M6/M1 Junction a couple of months ago, saying that it does indeed direct you to the left lane for the M1. however the signage on the dash shows the left lane as A14 Kettering, so some confusion.  Now that was around 6 weeks ago so it may have changed and be correct now??

Yes updates to Sync 3 are now happening via wi-fi in the UK.

I first noticed it a few months ago on my Edge - got in it one morning to see the "Sync has been updated" notification.

Then just last week, in my newly acquired S-Max, as I pulled onto my drive at home (in range of my home wi-fi) I saw a "Downloading update" message. Checking the settings - automatic updates screen showed a progress bar for the file being downloaded.

Next morning was greeted with the "Sync has been updated" notification and the build number had changed to 19025.

• Like 2

If the system is now working (fingers crossed) I wonder if cars will be updated in any particular order, e.g.model, vehicle build date, sync build number of just at random?

Guess it's just a question of "watch this space"  as/when members hopefully report events on this thread. 

• Like 1

It's only taken them 2.5 years to get this sorted!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim610 said:

It's only taken them 2.5 years to get this sorted!

That's a heck of a lot quicker than a certain thing beginning with "B"! 😀

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

That's a heck of a lot quicker than a certain thing beginning with "B"! 😀

You got a Bentley ?  Flash git !😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Edge of Reason said:

Bet its a Bugatti😁

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Edge of Reason said:

27 minutes ago, pragmatix said:

Bet its a Bugatti😁

Well no, I was actually meaning the little matter beginning with "B" and ending with "T" that our elected representatives have failed to resolve in over 3 years😀

Wouldn't have either of the above anyway - overpriced Volkswagens!

Eric / Roger, there’s no rush for the government to make a complete James Hunt of things. You know BJ (unfortunate initials) makes sense. 

• Like 1

I connected mine to my home wifi when i got it and did a manual update via wifi then to make sure it was uptodate, not sure if it included map updates but the software version changed, i also use the ford pass app on my android works well, tried android auto app previously kept crashing so gave up on that one you get some cool bits on the pass app like mpg etc

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my Fiesta Titanium on 18/05/19, but it was a stock car and date of manufacture was 14/12/18. Getting all sorts of problems with the sync 3. After about 2 months WiFi update messages froze, reverse camera stays on for miles, clock tells random times, radio freezes on a station and won’t turn off, screen stays on after door locked up, and an alarming regular knocking after engine turned off which stopped when drivers door opened. Been back several times for updates, and now told by both dealer and Ford that there is no current fix. I bought it for those features, and the Sat Nav, which, after reading other owners problems, I wouldn’t trust to find the end of the road. What to do now? Can’t see that it will ever be reliably sorted out. Could scream!

Like this guy who obviously has Sync 3?

scream-16_6155.jpg

On 10/24/2019 at 4:33 PM, Susan Smith said:

I bought my Fiesta Titanium on 18/05/19, but it was a stock car and date of manufacture was 14/12/18. Getting all sorts of problems with the sync 3. After about 2 months WiFi update messages froze, reverse camera stays on for miles, clock tells random times, radio freezes on a station and won’t turn off, screen stays on after door locked up, and an alarming regular knocking after engine turned off which stopped when drivers door opened. Been back several times for updates, and now told by both dealer and Ford that there is no current fix. I bought it for those features, and the Sat Nav, which, after reading other owners problems, I wouldn’t trust to find the end of the road. What to do now? Can’t see that it will ever be reliably sorted out. Could scream!

Car should still be under warranty take it in get it look at if nothing else if it reported while under warranty if the problem is not sorted out straight away and warranty runs out you will still have comeback on it as its an ongoing issue.

Report issue to  UKCRC1@ford.com

And ask for their assistance in getting it resolved.

How long does a wifi update take??

Over the last 3 days when i got home a message saying software update appeared on the screen

When i check later the messsage says software update failed

Then i thought does the ignition need to be left on, so that the car is "connected" to the wifi

So left the car on the drive ignition on (no engine) for around 40 minutes and when i cheked back the update bar was around half way across

Went back 30 mins later and the car had shut iteself off, and the update had stopped

When i turned on again it said update in place, but had gone back to the start again

Grrrr

I checked my version currently, and the screen shows Build 18025  Sync Software version 3.0

Maps F8 (coz i did that manually)

The download it is trying to do is JR3T-14G391-AE_1557244131000.TAR.GZ

There are dozens of posts with similar experience to yours

Best to use a newly formatted USB stick and follow Ford's download instructions - WiFi does not seem to work in the UK for updates to Sync

6 hours ago, DAVEWILL5 said:

So left the car on the drive ignition on (no engine)

Problem is that the car will auto ignition off if its left in that state too long. You need to have the engine running with start/stop disabled to have any success!

• Like 1

On 10/31/2019 at 4:35 PM, Westville said:

- WiFi does not seem to work in the UK for updates to Sync

It did for me. See first post in this thread.

Have you looked at the Ford app as well. There must be some sort of update to allow them to send information like fuel levels, mpg and efficiency. 

FB361EB7-C045-4464-8182-958924585F35.png

A03656F9-563B-437C-BFC1-FF325AF2C1B8.png

F7C799E8-7E16-489C-84A4-4C12CD06AB37.png

Is that the Ford Pass App ?  I think that only works with the most recent Edges. Either that or I don’t know how to work it. 

I've found the Ford Pass App only works if you use it when your sat in the car and connected via bluetooth, so you might as well just look at the fuel gauge for the fuel level! ... or am I missing some thing fundamental here!

If it worked over WiFi, I'd find it more useful as I could then see the fuel level from the house!