Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying help, unsure on Diesel

rn1234

Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a used S-Max to see us through the next few years. We will have 3 kids under 4 and the car seats that go with that, hence the need. The S-Max seems the best bet for practicality and a bit of style, so have narrowed it down. 

We will be getting a c2010/2011 model for the budget, and so I want to make sure we buy wisely so we minimise any future problems.

Looking at the market, Diesel is by far and away the more popular choice, outnumbering petrol  c10:1 for whats out there and so that seems like the obvious choice.

However, we do between 8k and 10k annually, mainly a short school run each day, trip to supermarket etc, which suggest Petrol is the obvious choice. Weekends it would get more use and longer runs. I was concerned about short runs and issues with the DPF, and so looked at Petrol. But like I say, fewer models to choose from and most reviews suggest the Diesel is better equiped to cope with the S-Max day to day.

Would anyone be able to help me on this in terms of the Diesel engines and whether I should be concerned or if there are particular models to go for? 

Thanks in advance

There's not a perfect solution here I'm afraid.  Diesel is definitely the better choice for a large/heavy S-Max, you'll be constantly at the petrol station otherwise and the lesser torque will be noticeable when 5 up with luggage.

Short runs will be an issue for the DPF though.  If you're just doing a mile or two to school and the supermarket on weekdays, you might get away with it doing a regen on a longer weekend drive but there are too many variables to say for definite.  Also with them being nearly 10 years old, the DPF will be getting full of ash by now, leaving less space for soot, so requiring more frequent regens, and ultimately DPF replacement.

Every diesel of the same size and age will have a DPF though...so it's a difficult choice to make.

• Like 1

Agree with Tom that diesel is normally the better choice for this type of vehicle. I had a petrol in the smaller C-Max and it wasn't the best choice driveability-wise.

However, 8-10k is not that low an annual mileage so it does sound as if you do get some decent runs in.

The other thought is (someone correct me here) I have an idea the 1.8 tdci didn't have dpf, there seem to be a few of those around on 2010 registration.

I suppose another factor nowadays must be the environmental considerations and whether you are likely to find your area introducing low emission zones etc.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club