Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK8 auto stop start battery monitoring

Smartd00d

Hi my 18 month old MK8 st-line has stopped automatically stop/start and the dash says it’s due to charging.

there is a procedure that can reteach the battery monitoring system on prior models by pressing certain buttons in a certain order but this doesn’t work on the Mk8.

Does  anyone know if there is an equivalent procedure for the MK8 that owners can do, whether it’s a service procedure in Forscan or whether it’s a dealership warranty visit only?

Thanks!

mine does so from time to time , specially if there is stop and go traffic, it may stop and restart the engine for about 10 times or so, afterwards it gives me " engine on due to vehicle charging " it remains like this for sometime until its active again , I think this is normal behaviour. if your auto start stop didn't activate for along time by now then there is a problem.

if you have replaced the battery recently then I think you should pay a visit to the dealer to do the relearn procedures again.

Thanks, no it never stops now and has original battery. It only needs a relearn so hence the question whether it was user serviceable..

33 minutes ago, Smartd00d said:

Thanks, no it never stops now and has original battery. It only needs a relearn so hence the question whether it was user serviceable..

I googled your question , I could only find that it could be done by forescan , the old procedures will not do , so I think you need forescan or a visit to the dealer 🙂 I'm sorry for that 🙂 

Found the method to reset the battery monitoring system on the Fiesta MK8.

1. Turn on ignition (not engine)

2. Ensure headlights are set to on

3. flash the high beam five times

4. press the brake pedal 3 times

5. wait for the battery light to flash on the dash.

6. Turn off then restart.

This has fixed auto stop/start that wasn’t working for three months on an 18 month old MK8 st-line. 
Working perfectly now. 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/6/2019 at 7:24 PM, Smartd00d said:

This has fixed auto stop/start that wasn’t working for three months on an 18 month old MK8 st-line. 
Working perfectly now. 👍

thanks a lot for this info 😄 about the headlights ? how to ensure that it is set to ON ? normally when you turn the ignition on the headlights goes to auto as default, so what do you mean by ON exactly ? in what position I mean ? thanks very much again for this valuable info 🙂 

• 1 month later...

Hi!! Oh, I’m glad I found this topic. From yesterday my start-and-stop isn’t working anymore too, and my Fiesta MK8 has about 18 months too.

I checked the voltage on my battery and they’re pretty good but not the best...probably I’ll replace my battery soon. I checked everywhere and I just can’t find any guide..do you have some guides or tips for changing it? I prefer to do this thing myself, I guess replacing battery isn’t very hard. My doubt is if you can remove it by removing the airbox cover only and not the airbox itself.

In the meantime, I’ll try to reset as the above procedure to see if it works again.

thanks in advance!

• 3 months later...

I know it's a bit late with this post but I just came across  Smartd00d  fix for reseting battery monitor on Mk8 fiesta, It works. Thanks  Smartd00d 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 11/28/2019 at 1:48 PM, Smartd00d said:

Hi my 18 month old MK8 st-line has stopped automatically stop/start and the dash says it’s due to charging.

there is a procedure that can reteach the battery monitoring system on prior models by pressing certain buttons in a certain order but this doesn’t work on the Mk8.

Does  anyone know if there is an equivalent procedure for the MK8 that owners can do, whether it’s a service procedure in Forscan or whether it’s a dealership warranty visit only?

Thanks!

There is a way to do it I'm not sure if you resolved this now I'm aware the thread is really old.

If you did fix it, how did you do it? I've had something plugged into my OBD for a couple weeks (insurance miles tracker, MK8 ST-Line based in Bham isn't great for a 23 year old!) but I'm not sure if my start stop isn't working because of that or because I've done 20 odd miles in the past 4 weeks. Mine has the same message yours has. I did the reset procedure but still had no luck with it.

Start stop tends not to work at this time of year due to lower voltage on car batteries. I also have a vauxhall, mercedes & a toyota in the family all with start stop that dont work.

Charge batteries and they all work again for a few weeks. 

5 hours ago, aydamstoidy said:

There is a way to do it I'm not sure if you resolved this now I'm aware the thread is really old.

If you did fix it, how did you do it? I've had something plugged into my OBD for a couple weeks (insurance miles tracker, MK8 ST-Line based in Bham isn't great for a 23 year old!) but I'm not sure if my start stop isn't working because of that or because I've done 20 odd miles in the past 4 weeks. Mine has the same message yours has. I did the reset procedure but still had no luck with it.

On 12/6/2019 at 5:24 PM, Smartd00d said:

Working perfectly now. 👍

Thank you for this 😀just noticed this thread after droning on in another one...

Will try this tip tomorrow👍

Tried this on my Mk 8 some time ago and the battery light still didn't flash after waiting about two minutes. Read somewhere else only way to reset Mk 8 battery is to disconnect it. Did this to mine and stop/start worked straight after.

1 hour ago, jsk said:

Tried this on my Mk 8 some time ago and the battery light still didn't flash after waiting about two minutes. Read somewhere else only way to reset Mk 8 battery is to disconnect it. Did this to mine and stop/start worked straight after.

Hi John, 

Yes I've tried this tip today but no flashing of battery light 😣so not sure what else I can try... to add to my frustration, there's a guy on YouTube (Dan's diagnostics) who has a video of doing this with a mk8 ST, and it works straight away...🤔

I had this issue with my 2020 Focus went back and forward to the dealer and was basically fobbed off, until I forced them to do a proper investigation as the car had no start stop and I kept getting messages that the battery was low and the car was gong in to sleep mode to save battery even after a 3hr trip at motorway speed. After the full diagnosis Ford said that a new model of the BMS needed fitting all looks okay now but its only been two weeks

It's not really an issue if start stop doesn't work. If anything saves battery and starter motor wear . The point of start stop is to keep emissions down for the manufacturers to comply with regulations and you get cheaper road tax. Volkswagen has been fiddling it for years. not very good for 0-60 times 😁 or confidence at traffic lights or congestion to know if car hasn't stalled. If you are stationary for more than 2 minutes engine automatically starts in this mode.

• Like 1

It seems to be the lesser of two evils with stop start.

It either works or it doesnt in the mk4. 

Personally ive turned ours off as at this time of year I'd rather have the engine ticking over at traffic lights putting what little charge it generates back into the system rather than having more power drawn from the battery whilst the stop start operates. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club