Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Cheap Fault Code Readers - Your Views

Mike2020

As car technology constantly changes, and garage's ditch old school mechanics and employ electronics technicians I was wondering if anybody could maybe answer a simple but important question.

Garages and mobile mechanics charge a few quid to plug there code reader's into our cars, and then tell us the code, and our options.

I know that some of these readers cost in the thousands to buy, and the constant software updates a few hundred quid per month to update,   

But my question is. With generic P fault codes the issue here, rather than complex codes, is it viable just to purchase a cheap reader and crack on yourself, checking and investigating codes, repairing if possible and re-setting fault code lights yourself ?.

With readers costing under  £20 surely this is a viable and intelligent option ?   

I look forward to some interesting and constructive replies 

Mike 2020 

553997350.jpg

No...  I have a couple of cheap generic scanners and they're too basic to be of any help usually.  I've found most real world codes are manufacturer specific instead of OBD.

Much better off buying specific diagnostics...  In Fords case, Forscan...costs the same but does a much better job.

Cheap code readers a waste of time and money, get Forscan a free download and a modified ELM connector from Tunnelrat, cheaper ones are available but fail or don't work.

Great replies, and I am now on the FORSCAN Site and looking at USB / ODB2 leads. 

I know that before, we have used a cheap OBD scanner, and found the " Generic" P Fault code before, but fully understand the depth of the alternative option now discussed.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club