Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Focus steering wheel

Hi.

I was wondering if it's possible to retrofit a Mk3.5 st line/ st steering into my car? It's a 2014 pre facelift zetec 1.6 petrol. It comes with the 4 spoke steering wheel which I'm not a big fan of. Ideally I'd be wanting to swap in the flat bottom style st wheel; anybody know if this is possible? I've attached pictures for reference.

Thanks

Screenshot_20200119-175615_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4e1d12edfb4ac2f4f0ddde0444701a41.jpg

20200119_175440.thumb.jpg.f50d6c744c507b3268d8ac94acf6dd24.jpg

Hi.
I was wondering if it's possible to retrofit a Mk3.5 st line/ st steering into my car? It's a 2014 pre facelift zetec 1.6 petrol. It comes with the 4 spoke steering wheel which I'm not a big fan of. Ideally I'd be wanting to swap in the flat bottom style st wheel; anybody know if this is possible? I've attached pictures for reference.
Thanks
Screenshot_20200119-175615_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4e1d12edfb4ac2f4f0ddde0444701a41.jpg
20200119_175440.thumb.jpg.f50d6c744c507b3268d8ac94acf6dd24.jpg

Yes it’s possible, quite easy in fact. Quite a lot of us have replaced the steering wheel on the mk3 pre face lifts in order to have cruise control so we can activate it on a car that didn’t come with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
5 hours ago, Monks600 said:

Yes it’s possible, quite easy in fact. Quite a lot of us have replaced the steering wheel on the mk3 pre face lifts in order to have cruise control so we can activate it on a car that didn’t come with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great! Do you know of any guides that could take me through this? Mine doesn't come with cruise control either. Also, all the wheels I've seen don't come with the airbag; any idea where I could find one? 

The airbag is the biggest challenge. Most steering wheels that are offered on Ebay or similar websites come from damaged/scrap vehicles. On most of these vehicles the airbag deployed and is useless.

I had a similar problem a few Years ago when I retrofitted a Mondeo MK4.5 steering wheel into my old Focus MK2. Finding a mint condition steering wheel was easy but finding a matching airbag was quite a challenge. In the end I bought a brand new airbag from a Polish Ford dealer for about half the price of the same part in my country (the Netherlands).

Also be aware that when installing a MK3.5 steering wheel with Cruise Control into a MK3 you also need to change the steering wheel module (Clockspring assembly). The MK3 steering wheel module does not support the MK3.5 cruise control buttons.

• 10 months later...

It is possible but definitely not plug and play.

In the past I installed a Mondeo MK4.5 steering wheel into my old Focus MK2. Despite from being completely different from a Focus Mk3 steering wheel the amount of work and modifications that are required are quite similar.

Mechanically the Focus MK3/MK3.5 steering wheels are a direct fit to the Focus MK2/MK2.5. Most Ford steering wheels have the exact same mechanical fitment.

However all electronics of the Focus MK3/MK3.5 are different from the Focus MK2/MK2.5. Ford uses resistance circuits for the Cruise Control, trip computer and radio remote functions. Unfortunately the resistance values are different between most Ford platforms. This basically means that literally all of the circuit boards inside all switches need to be modified to match the correct resistance values of the Focus MK2/MK2.5.

Another problem is that the clockspring of the Focus MK2/MK2.5 has less wiring tracks than needed for all functions of the Focus MK3/MK3.5 steering wheel. This can be solved by some modifications to the clockspring (to obtain 2 additional tracks) and designing a custom circuitry that communicates multiple functions by only using 2 wires. 

The airbag connector is also different. On each Ford platform the locating tab of the connector is at a different position. This can easily be solved by cutting the locating tab.

• 1 month later...

Did you also change the Steering Wheel Control Module (Clockspring assembly)?

The MK3.5 Cruise Control buttons require the MK3.5 Steering Wheel Control Module to communicate. The original MK3 Steering Wheel Control Module is not suitable.