Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

"EU" Number Plates after Brexit

Eric Bloodaxe

Just wondered what the position was regarding number plates which have the EU flag with "GB". No immediate change seems to be the answer, according to the Numberplate Manufacturers, in the item below:

https://www.bnma.org/news/gb-flags-on-number-plates-still-legal-post-brexit/

• Like 1

Looks like you’ve answered your own question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Haha 2

Nothing changes this year anyway...we're now in the transitional period... :yawn: 

I've always hated flag plates though.  I know they're useful for people travelling abroad frequently.  But for anyone else, just stick with a nice clean plate (no flag, no border, no dealer email address etc) and stick a GB sticker on for your 2 week holiday... :smile: 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Jollyandy said:

Looks like you’ve answered your own question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yup ....The post was for the benefit of others who might be wondering the same thing😀

23 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I've always hated flag plates though.  

Me too. When I bought my current car, the dealer was wanting to stick the flag plates on, but I insisted on plain ones. I suspect that they'd ordered in a large stock before the referendum and were trying to get rid.😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Nothing changes this year anyway...we're now in the transitional period... :yawn: 

I've always hated flag plates though.  I know they're useful for people travelling abroad frequently.  But for anyone else, just stick with a nice clean plate (no flag, no border, no dealer email address etc) and stick a GB sticker on for your 2 week holiday... :smile: 

There might have to be a border 😅

• Haha 2

As long as the plates comply with the Law in respect of letter/number size, spacing and colour there is no issue. I reckon the majority, if not all car owners that have them fitted will now change them. The Companies and garages that make up plates will be making a killing now, that's one industry that will benefit from us leaving the EU!

Before I'd even picked my car up back in August, I though about removing the EU flag on it,
Luckily my dealer printed new plain plates with a nice border.

A GB sticker in the window when travelling abroad makes more sense,
Rather than most cars flying EU flags which you'd see everyday like a propaganda tool.

(dealer image with old plate vs new plate)

Ford Focus ST Estate Black 013.jpg

20191229_160215.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, eddie eastwood said:

You can get stick on UK country flags that do not have the EU stars on them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=uk+number+plate+flags&_sacat=0

I was looking at them on amazon before I picked up the car lol.

I do wonder if many people will bother changing their plates or covering the flag if there is no legal requirement. I imagine most people who were bothered by it for whatever reason will have ordered plain plates anyway, or changed them/covered the flag already if buying a used car with them fitted.

Edit: Just been walking down the road where I live and out of 25 or so cars, only 2 had EU flag plates, so not much business for numberplate or sticker suppliers round here, anyway! 

Edited by Eric Bloodaxe
Extra paragraph
  • Like 1

I still see cars with tax disc holders in and even 2014 discs still present...I don't think most people care as long as it passes MOT.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Same here. Have a plate with no regional representation on it 

IMG_20191116_192108_599.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I still see cars with tax disc holders in and even 2014 discs still present...I don't think most people care as long as it passes MOT.

I still have my tax disc but not on the windscreen but on the logbook. 

2 hours ago, zain611 said:

Same here. Have a plate with no regional representation on it 

IMG_20191116_192108_599.jpg

I really like that shot of your car too! :biggrin:

• Like 1

No EU flag for me! I should add the car has been cleaned since this picture 😂

A6F401C6-8BF7-4FD1-949A-E27FAF52F488.jpeg

• Like 2

There was a period when having an EU flag on new car plates was a legal requirement but it then became optional only and a lot of UK plate makers stopped doing them as standard (probably because EU plates were more expensive to start with and cut their profit margin).
TBH, I can't recall owning a car with an EU plate.
Original law was that plates could only have EU or regional markers (English. Irish, Welsh, Scottish) but generally (and unofficially) any other variation was overlooked ( car logo's etc) as long as the plates were deemed BSAU 145d compliant and any decsls weren't offensive, distracting or deemed likely to obscure the registration number.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

TBH, I can't recall owning a car with an EU plate.

No, I've never had one either.😀

• Like 1

Never had plans to take any cars into Europe so euro plates were not needed anyway.

1 hour ago, Stoney871 said:

Never had plans to take any cars into Europe so euro plates were not needed anyway.

No, I've never had the urge either. They're all crazy drivers over there - they all drive on the wrong side of the road for a start!

• Like 1

The Fiesta I bought recently very unusually has the aluminium  pressed type of plates on it, haven't seen any of those on cars since the late 1980's.

On 2/2/2020 at 2:24 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

No, I've never had the urge either. They're all crazy drivers over there - they all drive on the wrong side of the road for a start!

I drove all the way to Norway across the continent and bridges. 

By far the worst drivers on the whole trip were the brits. 

Admitedly I didn’t go through Spain. I’ve been on holiday there and they are crazy 😅

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club