Sign in to follow this  
yamman

rough ride on michelin tyres on most roads

hi just asking if any info available as my 2008 model s max 2.2 titanium rides really rough and you can feel most bumps on the road..

garage says shocks are ok and springs car has done 120,000 and is on michelin tyres and there very noisey

any help will be appreciated

cheers all

What size are the wheel and tyres? Which Michelin tyres and how much tread is remaining?

Low tread can cause more noise and harsher ride. I had Bridgestone Pontenza RE050 tyres on my car (19" wheels) and they were horrible when the tread was low.

thanks for reply....

the tyre size is 235/55/17

wheels are brand new

some sites abroad say s max rides better on riken extra load and very resonable price as i will swop all four

tyres are worn a bit but car just passed mot...

had shocks checked and ok

love the car just want a smoother ride if possible

thanks again

I would have thought it would be quite comfortable on that size tyre. I run 235/45/18 winter tyres and they are more comfortable than the 235/40/19 summer tyres, I even considered keeping to 18's, but for me, it affects the handling too much. I personally don't think the ride is too harsh on the 19's (Michelin Pilotsport 4s tyres)...maybe the weight of the S-Max is making the difference here, and/or our personal perceptions as to what is harsh/rough etc.

I've only done a brief search but I think the previous owner may have changed the tyres to 235/55/17 to try and improve the comfort levels as the standard size tyre is 225/50/17. Unless you changed them of course.

thanks again for getting back to me..

as you said may be tyre wear so will change the tyres soon ,i have checked myself and my wheels are the same size as a galaxy 2012 so previous owner changed them

checked with fords and the wheel size and tyres are ok on a s max...fitted standard on french models??

will see how new tyres perform

regards mate and thanks again