Sign in to follow this  
Willp46

Mk3.5 main beam not working

Hi I got a 2014 mk3.5 focus titanium x with the bi xenon lights, and noticed that the main Doesn’t work, I’ve tried different bulbs and fuses. Took it into my local garage and they found the actuator had gone on the passenger side and replaced it, but main beam doesn’t work in the picture, any ideas at all please

F7770CCD-D949-4B35-96D0-222ABA5ABFDD.jpeg

That's cornering lights, they only come on when you go around steep bends or corners and when you are reversing.
Park close to and facing a wall, put into reverse then turn the wheels, you'll see them come on.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Stoney871 said:

That's cornering lights, they only come on when you go around steep bends or corners and when you are reversing.
Park close to and facing a wall, put into reverse then turn the wheels, you'll see them come on.

The cornering lights are on the outside, the middle is the high beam and that doesn’t come on 

The lens that you have marked on the picture is definitely the cornering light.
Trust me on this, I had two mk3.5 ST's.
Main and high beam lights are in the fisheye lens and the lens mechanism physically moves to go into high beam.

11 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

The lens that you have marked on the picture is definitely the cornering light.
Trust me on this, I had two mk3.5 ST's.
Main and high beam lights are in the fisheye lens and the lens mechanism physically moves to go into high beam.

The light didn’t come on when I was turning the wheel and someone was checking it which is odd

18 hours ago, Willp46 said:

The light didn’t come on when I was turning the wheel and someone was checking it which is odd

It only works when the light selector switch is in AUTO, it won't work if you've manually turned on the headlights. This also applies for the adaptive lights which move the beam side-to-side when turning.

EDIT - The cornering lamps may only actually come on with steering input when you're moving. You can put the car into reverse and see them come on too, but again you have to be in the AUTO position, so you can only check when it's dark enough for the auto lights to switch on the headlights.

As has already been mentioned, both the dipped and main beam are dealt with by one bulb which is located in the huge black lens unit you see to the right of what you've circled. A shutter moves out of the way to give you main beam which is why you see the light "rise up" if your car happens to have auto high beam and it activates. This same shutter system also alters the shape of the beam - you can see this more clearly if you drive under 30mph (with lights in AUTO) in which case the beam pattern is flattened and widened, and then speed up to around 35mph at which point the beam pattern changes and now includes the little kink you see normally where the left side of each beam is higher and the light is projected slightly more centrally.