Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AC nightmare on S-MAX (wa6)

damjansarec

Hello fellow Ford lovers,

I could really use some assistance if anyone has some experience or a clue about FORD AC issue im having. I have already read through most of the AC releated posts on here but was unable to find or fix the issue.

Issue:
AC working very badly only from  drivers side (only from 1 air hole in the dashboard). After system has been vacum tested we refilled the system for the 4th time and AC works VERY WELL until the car heats up and its hot outside, at this moment i can see, hear and smell refrigerant exiting into atmosfere. This happenes in about 30 min of driving from refilling the AC everytime.

Currently we have checked and learned the following:

- AC compressor is working OK (clutch is engaging and was also replaced with second hand one as a test)

- Fan DOES start when you press AC button

- AC module has NO stored DTC errors in self-test/calibration mode

- Ambient sensor was replaced 6 months ago by previous owner (i have the old sensor) Should i replace it again?

- AC works WELL for 30 mins after recharging  the oil... but gets ejected from compressor after the cars warms up while driving

I have actually started to pull my hair out over this AC issues and i cant really afford this anymore in times of Corona epidemic that has been raging through EU.

Can someone with more knowledge help me on where to start? Im actually willing to buy someone a good lunch if he manages to points me in a direction that will solve the issue.

Thank you very much in advance.

Stay Safe,
Damian

Until you fix the source of the leak, you’re wasting time and money. Get the fluorescent die that you use along with a uv light, put into the system to help you find the leak. The leak probably is your problem as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Meta55,

Thank you for taking time and replying back but leaks in the system have nothing to do with it 100%

The system was tested for leaks with DYE and EL. SENSOR device multiple times in multiple shops, and there are no leaks at all anywhere.

I left the system under vacuum for over 48 hrs and it holds the vacuum without any issues.

This week we replaced the radiator fan controller/relay/ECU on back of radiator fan as it was only spinning the fan on lowest speed as we though that AC is "overheating" due to faulty fan/controlller beacuse i noticed there isnt any fan sounds like it used to be on hot days. This is supposed to be a common issues on SMAX as i hear.

The FAN is spinning on all speeds now.

After that we put refrigerant inside again to see what happens, and it worked well until today. I tried straining the AC as much as i could in 35 degree heat and it worked well all day, but when i got home i left the car idling with AC on while we unpacked and it vented refrigerant again while i was unpacking. I noticed that when i turn the AC on i can hear the pulley belt squeaking and shaking heavily (only on idle).

- im thinking that bad altenator pulley has maybe something to do with it (im thinking bad compressor beacuse of a bad pulley who damaged the compressor)

- Or maybe faulty AC compressor.

As of now im gonna replace the altenator pulley and maybe AC compressor.

Is it possible this is what is happening?

Thanks for all the assistance.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club