Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk8 ST - Does Rear seat fold flat?

Greybeard2

Hi

I am considering a new model Fiesta ST, and have downloaded the latest Ford manual I can find.

As the car will und=fortunately have to transport my dog, it would be good if rear seat folds down flat as a platform I can add a mat to so interior is protected.

I read on 2018 model that ST required the rear seat base to be lifted to allow rear seat to lay truly flat, However new manual stated - do not try to lift seat base?

I will ultimately track dow a demo car to review, but as this is a confusion at present, any advise before I get serious on this Mk8 Fiesta ST would be appreciated.

Somewhat annoyingly the base of the seats in fiesta's don't fold up towards the front seats like they do in a Focus, only the back of the seat folds down. While they do go flatter than they did in previous generations, or it seems to. They do still have a bit of an angle even with the headrests removed so don't fold truly flat.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for confirming this Tom44.

I will have to check this out at a demo, but rather disapointingly this may be a major choice issue for us, as had planned to use the seat back area  as platform for our energetic Border Collie, that loves outings.

We currently have an old Honda Jazz, so sort of spoilt with the rear seating flexibility of the admittedly low powered Honda.

In Australia the new Fiesta ST model  is finally the 4 door hatch. Previously the 2 door only we had was too restrictive for us, hence the latest interest in this new model.

Any pictures of seating folded down would be appreciated.

• 7 months later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC4inCvik30 

This video shows that the 2020 Fiesta Ecosport has a seat base that flips forward and thus allows the rear seat back to fold flat. 

I'm wondering if all Mk8 Fiesta can be modified to allow this. 

Any advice would be welcome. 

On 8/11/2020 at 2:26 AM, Greybeard2 said:

Thanks for confirming this Tom44.

I will have to check this out at a demo, but rather disapointingly this may be a major choice issue for us, as had planned to use the seat back area  as platform for our energetic Border Collie, that loves outings.

We currently have an old Honda Jazz, so sort of spoilt with the rear seating flexibility of the admittedly low powered Honda.

In Australia the new Fiesta ST model  is finally the 4 door hatch. Previously the 2 door only we had was too restrictive for us, hence the latest interest in this new model.

Any pictures of seating folded down would be appreciated.

We have a Border Collie and she is more than happy to be in the boot of the car (StLx 140 & 155) without the back seats down when she travels around with us. The dog looks over the back seats and out of the back window without getting too carried away.

Safer as well I would have thought than just the open back if the seats were down.

A couple of dust sheets in the boot and over the top of the back seats and she is happy as a Collie can be in a car.

Hope this helps.

Ford Fiesta ST hatchback boot

This is about as good as it gets - this is with the optional false floor

Ford Fiesta ST hatchback carbuyer review 2020 -9.jpg

This is a bit overkill,  but as my mk8 St  seats don't fold to be a flat floor, ( when folded down you are left with a step),  I have completelyremoved the back of the back seats, the base is still in place,  then I got some cheap carpet and fitted it in the now flat boot. By putting a stanley knife cut in the correct place in the extra carpet,  right above the seat belt anchorage buckles, I can clip the legally required doggy strap in.  There are only three bolts in the middle of the back seats, and a single clip either side, simply screw the bolts back in the three holes for safe keeping.  Seats wrapped in bubble wrap and stored elsewhere.  I believe ford sell a boot leveling plastic false floor thing to level the seat step issue out, but you lose height.   I bet you think I'm     'barking'

This is a bit overkill,  but as my mk8 St  seats don't fold to be a flat floor, ( when folded down you are left with a step),  I have completelyremoved the back of the back seats, the base is still in place,  then I got some cheap carpet and fitted it in the now flat boot. By putting a stanley knife cut in the correct place in the extra carpet,  right above the seat belt anchorage buckles, I can clip the legally required doggy strap in.  There are only three bolts in the middle of the back seats, and a single clip either side, simply screw the bolts back in the three holes for safe keeping.  Seats wrapped in bubble wrap and stored elsewhere.  I believe ford sell a boot leveling plastic false floor thing to level the seat step issue out, but you lose height.   I bet you think I'm     'barking'

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

No sir you are just frustrated, as I am, by Fords inexcusably poor design. What on earth was going through the head of the idiot when they first came up with what went into production?! This is not rocket science for anyone let alone a car manufacturer. 

But, now that Ford have made such a mess of the design, I can see no possible improvement beyond what OwdGrumps says. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club