Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ST conversion

Jaydee20ll

Hi folks I have a 2005 mk2 Ford Focus 5 door on a 54 plate and am considering doing an ST conversion and wondering does the suspension components from the mk2.5 ST fit a standard chassis. The car I’m planning on doing this work to is a 2 ltr 145bhp 

All ST specific parts and components except the rear exhaust silencer are fully compatible with any Focus MK2/MK2.5 body Shell.

The only difference between a "Normal" Focus MK2/MK2.5 body Shell and a Focus MK2/MK2.5 ST body Shell is the spare wheel well. When performing a 100% ST conversion the spare wheel well needs to be removed to make space for the rear exhaust silencer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jaydee20ll said:

Hi folks I have a 2005 mk2 Ford Focus 5 door on a 54 plate and am considering doing an ST conversion and wondering does the suspension components from the mk2.5 ST fit a standard chassis. The car I’m planning on doing this work to is a 2 ltr 145bhp 

My LX car has undergone an ST conversion - badge cost me £4 (inc P&P) LOL

596896819_frontgrillbadgeLoResblacked.thumb.jpg.96dfaab66c78c3a19290e4229da3e83f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Careful of all that extra bhp [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, JW1982 said:

All ST specific parts and components except the rear exhaust silencer are fully compatible with any Focus MK2/MK2.5 body shell.

The only difference between a "Normal" Focus MK2/MK2.5 body shell and a Focus MK2/MK2.5 ST body shell is the spare wheel well. When performing a 100% ST conversion the spare wheel well needs to be removed to make space for the rear exhaust silencer.

Thank you for that. I was already pretty sure everything just bolted on. Won’t be putting the ST back box on it will have an exhaust custom built as don’t want to change the body in anyway 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jaydee20ll said:

Thank you for that. I was already pretty sure everything just bolted on. Won’t be putting the ST back box on it will have an exhaust custom built as don’t want to change the body in anyway 

Sounds an interesting project, hope you'll take plenty of 'before' and 'after' and report back in...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jaydee20ll said:

Well I say that but also want to give it a facelift so looking into what parts are different for that aswell. The pics are the way it sits now 

07EBC850-CD79-474B-9AE5-02BBB2B1B10A.jpeg

1B0AF14A-80FE-4891-95F3-E6122E7671A6.jpeg

That's not a proper LX, you have those posh original fog lights, and body coloured door mirrors! 😅

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Sounds an interesting project, hope you'll take plenty of 'before' and 'after' and report back in...

Take before and after pics most of the time when working on any car. Seat swap and full carpet clean yesterday 

98EE72BE-CD6C-44D5-AFCA-7BB3B3342A41.jpeg

9AD5B2D3-C628-4979-9736-1336828BE077.jpeg

848FB650-49E4-4EC9-93C4-0C413BA82952.jpeg

33C12BBA-0480-4C7C-9483-C7EFAB8F13CE.jpeg

8F9CA80A-D107-4472-B02C-2C53B088950C.jpeg

D4C4792E-E030-44CC-A1F9-1E2950BC1037.jpeg

5A64935E-F71F-4F0B-9156-31F43AD9BF68.jpeg

8B0DE7AE-2089-4226-BC92-8737B145F8B1.jpeg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jaydee20ll said:

Well I say that but also want to give it a facelift so looking into what parts are different for that aswell. The pics are the way it sits now 

Looks tidy, the LX only had hub caps that looks like a zetec, 

For the facelift you would need the front plastic sub frame, side wings, bomnet, headlights and front bumper, then given the age of the vehicle mate if it was ever crashed the insurance wouldn't pay out to replace all those items, 

The ST wing mirrors have indicators in them too, 

The Recaro interior is a straight swap need a TX40 and TX50 torx bit to remove the seats as I see you already know that. 

Here's some guides which will help for the st dash pod and seats, the sparco tow strap boot handle would also look good on the blue 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

That's not a proper LX, you have those posh original fog lights, and body coloured door mirrors! 😅

Never said it was an LX 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jaydee20ll said:

Never said it was an LX 

Ah I see @StephenFord post there threw me off, when he said 

5 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

2 minutes ago, BigLen said:

Ah I see @StephenFord post there threw me off, when he said 

Sorry bud, speed reading and age, not a great combination!

• Like 2

Defo the rear lights as well as the MK2 pre face ones are horrid. The new ones the ST spoiler sits over the top then the rest shows clear. Was the car used as a teenage den before? 🤣 

• Like 1

The only thing that properly sets ST's apart from regular Focus' is the engine. And since you're probably not going to stick the 5 pot in, you wont really gain much. Pretty much every ST out there has had a new exhaust fitted because the stock one is so quiet. 

Stick some 18" wheels on, lower it by like 40mm all round. Maybe get some wheel spacers and you won't be far off the ST look on the outside. The ST spoiler is a little subtle imo so I changed mine to the RS style.

As for the interor, the carbon fibre look dashboard with an aftermarket touch screen stereo makes all the difference (aside from the black leather seats obviously). 

If you plan on doing a facelift conversion then it'll be worth getting hold of a set of xenon headlights to complete the look. Just be careful, a lot of them will have burnt out projectors now.

A full ST conversion does not make any sense financially. Al necessary parts will cost way more than the car is worth and in the end the car will be worth way less than a "real" ST. From a financial point of view selling your current Focus MK2 and buying a Focus MK2.5 ST will be a more cost effective option.

A full ST conversion only makes sense if the car is considered to be a hobby and you plan to keep the car for a long time.

• Like 2

Very true, even fitting an ST carbon console and associated interior parts can cost a couple of grand unless you make very lucky finds on eBay.
Custom exhausts ain't cheap either for sure.
I'd lay bets that a half decent ST is out there that would be a surprisingly inexpensive purchase and a couple of tasteful mods to personalise it would then be a totally rewarding option.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

I'd lay bets that a half decent ST is out there that would be a surprisingly inexpensive purchase and a couple of tasteful mods to personalise it would then be a totally rewarding option.

If i hadn't already written war & piece on the subject I'd have said just that. Pre-faclift ST-3 with around 100k on the clock can be had for under £4-5000. There aren't many cars around with that sort of performance for that sort of money. Basic remap will see a 40hp gain too.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2020 at 6:11 PM, Jaydee20ll said:

9AD5B2D3-C628-4979-9736-1336828BE077.jpeg

What do people keep between their legs while driving?  I've seen this particular mark so often on used cars driver seats and can't understand it at all...they can't all be peeing themselves surely!? :unsure:  I suppose it could be groin sweat?  But that's not much better to think about...  It's one of the main reasons I like full leathers, wipe clean! :biggrin: 

On topic though, I agree with the others, just buy an ST...if you only want a prefacelift, those a really cheap now.  Facelift costs a bit more but will also hold value better.  It'll also end up cheaper and easier to insure to a proper ST than a heavily modified basic model.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

What do people keep between their legs while driving?  I've seen this particular mark so often on used cars driver seats and can't understand it at all...they can't all be peeing themselves surely!? :unsure:  I suppose it could be groin sweat?  But that's not much better to think about...  It's one of the main reasons I like full leathers, wipe clean! :biggrin: 

Tom, you are so right! These are my 15 year old seats with approaching 100,000 miles. One of the many things that attracted me to my particular car. The thought of wallowing in those stains would want me to put on a Hazmat suit LOL

505565985_seat15yearsold.thumb.jpg.2224c1295f1c79755ec02b2788be64d9.jpg

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Gives me the fear that does could be anything 🤮

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club