Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Disconnected battery, now have Headlamp Malfunction on the dash...

n_hudson

So, I disconnected the battery while I was messing around with the rear ABS problem, thinking back, I'm not sure why I bothered... but after reconnecting, the car wouldn't start.

The headlamps and dash fans came on full speed when I pressed the start button... that was its, couldn't turn them off until I pressed the start button again.

Disconnected / reconnected again... the car came back to life!

BUT... NOW... 

I have no Cornering lights - DTC B1C98 (LEFT) and B1C99 (RIGHT)

And just for giggles... 

C1A03 - Left Front Height Sensor - Is that in the headlamp, or on the suspension/wheel arch? I thought the height sensor was on the right side, wheel arch?

All lights (minus the cornering bulbs) in the headlamp cluster work and I can see / hear the xenons go up and down. 

Thanks for reading!

Ive just taken it out in the dark, when the nose of the car rises, the headlamps go down and that's when the error comes on.

Do these things need to be calibrated at all?

Is that why I don't have cornering lights, they need to be programmed?

All problems you describe are caused by a malfunction of the headlight control modules which are integrated into the headlights. If the DTC codes can not be erased the headlight control modules itself or the wiring inside the headlight will most likely be defective. Both are well known problems of the Focus MK3 HID headlights. 

I have seen before that disconnecting/connecting the battery caused a power search which resulted in a defective headlight control module.

The headlight control modules are an integral part of the HID headlights and are not available as a spare part.

Personally I would start with inspecting the wiring inside the headlights. If the wiring does not show any defects and the problem still persists there is a 95% chance that the headlights need to be replaced to solve the problem.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, JW1982 said:

All problems you describe are caused by a malfunction of the headlight control modules which are integrated into the headlights. If the DTC codes can not be erased the headlight control modules itself or the wiring inside the headlight will most likely be defective. Both are well known problems of the Focus MK3 HID headlights. 

I have seen before that disconnecting/connecting the battery caused a power search which resulted in a defective headlight control module.

The headlight control modules are an integral part of the HID headlights and are not available as a spare part.

Personally I would start with inspecting the wiring inside the headlights. If the wiring does not show any defects and the problem still persists there is a 95% chance that the headlights need to be replaced to solve the problem.

I was hoping someone wouldn't say that 😞

Thanks for the advice. The headlamps are so damn expensive!?

So, just for giggles... 

I disconnected the battery.. again... yes I know... asking for problems.

BUT... the headlamp malfunction has gone AND the turning lights work again!

I give up on this car, think its going to be on eBay spares and repairs... still has the intermittent ABS issue.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club