Guy Heaton

What phone for a weirdo like me?

My Oneplus 6T contract is up soon and I have no idea what to do.

I'm not sure that what I want actually exists.

I want a powerful phone (CPU/RAM) with lots of storage and a decent camera.  I mostly play games, listen to music and use basic apps.    What I DO NOT WANT 😀 is Google Assistant, or integrated Farcebook, or Digital Wellbeing, or Zen Mode or anything else that tries to run or organise my life.

Does something like this even exist?

I've got an Android One, made by Motorola but not full of unnecessary and ons.  Plenty of storage and powerful enough for forums, Facebook and Instagram, while listening to Spotify as well.

The camera is a letdown though, I previously had a Moto G3 with a better camera.  That's really my only complaint about the phone, I think there's a newer version with a better camera.  I've never had an expensive phone though so may be comparing a Fiesta to a C63 here... :biggrin:

I don't think what you want exists either.

Sony phones are now not that far off Android One, but they do have Facebook installed and you can only disable it, not uninstall it. They don't have much more bloatware than that though but they are expensive.

I've had my XZ1 Compact for 3 years now. It was the last flagship compact made and still performs like new. Unfortunately Sony do not make compacts now so I'll be in the same position as you if I need to replace mine.

My Sony XZ3 has been very good. As Tizer says, not too much bloatware apart from Facebook, which I disabled within the first 10 minutes.

Only real down side is the very slippery glass back. Looks nice, but unless it's in a case or on a perfectly level surface it inevitably starts moving towards the floor. 

I'll probably get another Sony when it comes to replacement time. And a suitable case. 

Assuming you want Android as opposed to Apple? I have the Moto G8 Power. They have different G8 models including one with decent cameras although my ones decent enough for me. 

Don't want Google Assistant? Don't use it ☺️ it's on my phone but I wouldn't know where to start with it 😃 same with any apps etc I don't use. I just move them all into a folder and put it on a page out of the way.

Apple iPhone 6S Plus, 128GB would probably suit, any later iPhones, 7 onwards do not now have a 3.5mm headphone jack, you have to have wireless ones that are bluetooth. What you want and what you get will depend on your budget.

I'm not against Apple but I've always been Android so would need to relearn a lot I think.

It's easy to say don't use it or disable it but increasingly you can't. They don't want you disabling a monetising app.

Zen mode on OnePlus is impossible to disable.  Turning off it's notifications is difficult too.

I dont use the google add ons or any of the other things you mentioned but ive had the Samsung A7 for a while now and had no issues.

OnePlus is getting awful.  It's just ***** I don't want. Their latest text message app wants to add colours and categories and "organise" the messages.

No!  Just ***** leave them alone.   All I need is a list of them. Nothing else.