jostler

S-MAX Front & Rear Driver Side Light Randomly Turning On When Ignition is Off

Evening, everyone.

I own a 2007 Ford S-MAX 1.8L TDCI, which is experiencing an intermittent issue. Now and again, the front side light appears to come on (on the driver's side only), when the car is not in use i.e. locked and parked with the ignition off and the light switch set to the "off" position. On some occasions, both the front and rear side light (also, only on the driver's side) may both turn themselves on.

When this happens, if I unlock the car and turn the ignition on, the right indicator is also on, despite the fact the indicator stalk is in the "neutral" position. To turn the right indicator signal off, I have to push the indicator stalk to the position that switches the left indicator on, then back into its neutral position to cancel it out. In turn, the front and rear side lights switch themselves off.

It happens once or twice a week. There's no consistency in when the issue plays out, such as after driving during a sustained period of heavy rain, or perhaps a long hot or cold spell. It's seemingly random in that sense.

I've checked other forums, but there is nothing of note to suggest what could be the root cause or how to address it, other than that it is a seemingly common fault among SMAX and Galaxy owners, with this particular model.

I know nothing about the car electrics or mechanics, so any help or pointers would be gratefully received, especially as I'm expecting my third child in just a few weeks. I've already had to spend a small fortune recently, getting the brakes and disc pads replaced, all four tyres changed, as well as both the power steering pump and steering rack replaced, so I can't afford to spend any more money, unnecessarily, you see.

Would it be worth disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes and then reconnecting it, as the first port of call? Is a diagnostics test likely to help at all? Would my local garage be able to help or does this sound more like a job for an auto-electrician?

In one forum post I stumbled across, someone else with a near-identical issue seemed to find joy in changing the "Indicator Switch". Is this another term for the "Steering Column Switch"? If so, what is the likelihood of this being the cause of my troubles?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Joe

Some additional information, in case it helps...

If I lock the car by pressing the lock button on the key fob just once, upon unlocking the car, my front driver side light and rear driver side parking light come on, even though the interior switch that controls my sidelights and headlights is in the "off" position. It's worth adding that I always leave the indicator stalk in the "neutral" position before turning off the engine and locking the car.

Also, if I instead lock the car by pressing the lock button on the key fob twice (to double lock it), my front driver side light and rear driver side parking light come on, about 5 minutes after locking it and stay on.

In both scenarios, when I unlock the car and turn the ignition on, the right-hand indicator is flashing, even though the indicator stalk is in the "neutral" position. I then have to push the indicator up and back down again to cancel the signal.

When driving once this has happened, after using the indicator stalk and returning it to the "neutral" position, the signal will occasionally continue to flash, meaning I have to repeat the process to cancel it.