Do Not Sell My Personal Information

S-Max Electrical problem ?!? HELP!

Scott87

Hi Guys and Girls,

I've fairly recently bought an old second hand 2007 S-Max TDCI with 230000km on the clock (reguarly serviced at ford and in good condition) but have sadly had issues with the car from day one. 

The car ran for about 1000km with very little issue, the only noticeable problem was that in high gears the car would surge and you'd notice a drop in power between gear changes. A day later it decided to jerk uncontrollably going down the motorway and battery was completely discharged/dead and the car wouldn't turn over. ABS, ESP, Power steering and headlight/engine malfunctions read over the dashboard and the car had to be towed to the nearest garage.

EGR valve was replaced because it threw up a fault code at the garage and the diesel filter was drained of excess water and we were able to get the car running again. After another 200km the same issue happened again and I managed to buy a multimeter and obd reader to check any fault codes. Ive attached them in the link belown (5 pictures)

https://imgur.com/a/R17aM4p

After various tests at the next garage it was decided that the alternator was faulty and that it was causing a sudden drop in power as it was only intermittently charging so we decided on the spot to have it replaced hoping it would finally fix the issue. We've now managed to get a few more thousand km's out of the car since the change but the ESP light appears intermittently and will only dissapear when you turn off the engine and start again. Since the weather has started changing here in Sweden and it's only a few degrees above zero in the mornings the car only produces around 12.8 volts when it's started and on for a few mins then suddenly it'll surge to 14.4-14.7. It appears to be charging but I'm concerned there may be some kind of more serious electrical fault causing these issues to happen.

The built in voltage reader throws completely wrong voltage numbers and we've had issues with air conditioning too blowing only warm air. Could this be all to do with a faulty BCM? Is there any way to reset it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated so we can finally sort all of these issues as it's driving the family insane and we can't trust we're ever gonna get from A to B without it breaking down.

. Since the weather has started changing here in Sweden and it's only a few degrees above zero in the mornings the car only produces around 12.8 volts when it's started and on for a few mins then suddenly it'll surge to 14.4-14.7. It appears to be charging but I'm concerned there may be some kind of more serious electrical fault causing these issues to happen.
The built in voltage reader throws completely wrong voltage numbers

Isn't that the normal behaviour from the smart charge system? My SMAX does the same.

Enviado do meu M2007J20CG através do Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club