Do Not Sell My Personal Information

POWERSHIFT not selecting fourth gear

Mb1979

Hi. Own a 2012 ford smax 2.0 diesel with powershift auto gearbox and 98k  miles on the clocks

When I have bought the car about a month ago previous owner did not mention (obviously!) that when gearbox warmed up starts juddering when on 1st gear. Soon after gearbox stopped selecting 4th gear and going straight to 5th.

I have just changed the oil and filter in the gearbox hoping that issue will go away. Unfortunately nothing has changed. 

What else can I try or what is the cause of this please? 

I'm sorry for your issues and I don't want to sound like a know all, but these gear boxes are well known for their tendancy to be crap. They need to be correctly serviced every 2 years other wise they cost serious money to fix. There was a class action lawsuit in the USA that Ford settled regarding these gear boxes and if you look on honest John website regarding these gearboxes, it's not good reading. All I can say it to take it to Ford for a diagnostic and hope that all it requires is a service.

• 1 month later...
On 10/25/2020 at 2:40 PM, Mb1979 said:

Hi. Own a 2012 ford smax 2.0 diesel with powershift auto gearbox and 98k  miles on the clocks

When I have bought the car about a month ago previous owner did not mention (obviously!) that when gearbox warmed up starts juddering when on 1st gear. Soon after gearbox stopped selecting 4th gear and going straight to 5th.

I have just changed the oil and filter in the gearbox hoping that issue will go away. Unfortunately nothing has changed. 

Did you do the full reset after changing the oil, not sure it will help but plug laptop in and reset everything it has learnt. 

• 8 months later...
On 10/25/2020 at 2:40 PM, Mb1979 said:

Hi did you find out the issue with this l am experiencing something similar in my 2013 Galaxy with the gear box not seeing 4th and going from 3rd -5th and 5th back to 3rd

39 minutes ago, Craig Locke said:

Hi did you find out the issue with this l am experiencing something similar in my 2013 Galaxy with the gear box not seeing 4th and going from 3rd -5th and 5th back to 3rd

Check battery is in good condition and replace if necessary. Remove the earth strap from the body, remove the paint from the body, grease and re-attach, do the same on any other earth straps you can see in the engine bay, I don't know where they are on galaxy but they are underneath the air box on Focus. Powershift has it's own earthing point.

#Change the fluid, only use the correct fluid.

Do an adaptive learning reset and follow the relearn procedure fully.

Check and update PCM and TCM software.

Do all of this BEFORE you start spending any money

• 11 months later...

Hi @Mb1979

What was the outcome of your issue? I have a 2011 ford Mondeo with 314k km's on the clock and have started to experience the same issues in the past 2 weeks. Thanks in advance 

Well with nearly 200,000 miles on the clock I think the gearbox is what we would technically term as knackered.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club