Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk 2 Help - What on earth is going on?

FociDoci

See attached vid I posted. Any ideas as to what this could be?

9 hours ago, FociDoci said:

See attached vid I posted. Any ideas as to what this could be?

mmm..., your fuse box appears to have dropped onto your floor! 😁 Can you describe what happens? When the red LED fast flashes, can you start the car? Have you shown us your fuse box for a reason? There's a known Mk2 instrument cluster fault, but you need to give us a fighting chance to diagnose...

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

mmm..., your fuse box appears to have dropped onto your floor! 😁 Can you describe what happens? When the red LED fast flashes, can you start the car? Have you shown us your fuse box for a reason? There's a known Mk2 instrument cluster fault, but you need to give us a fighting chance to diagnose...

No sound on your device I take it?  The GEM's arcing like mad! :laugh: 

3 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

OMG Tom, nope, I have YouTube on almost permanent mute as usually that's the best position for it LOL Apologies to OP

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Please can you enlighten me?

2 minutes ago, FociDoci said:

Sounds like an electrical arc (spark) caused by a short circuit.  I'd suggest that either the plug is loose/damp/corroded or one of the relays is stuck.  The relays aren't easily replaceable so I'd probably swap the whole GEM for a good used one myself.  It's definitely worth checking the plugs first, unplug and check that all pins are clean and dry.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FociDoci said:

The "GEM" module is the brain of your alarm/central locking/double locking/window closing. That central red LED on the cluster is the 'alarm' LED...

• Like 1

Thanks. A bit of backgorund because the original thread seems to have disappeared - I had the cluster repaired because all the lights came on and then car wouldnt start. Car still doesnt start after repair and when scanned had following network codes:-

U0131 Lost Communication with Power Steering Control Module (PSCM) .

U0155 Lost Communication with Instrument Panel Control (IPC)

U0140 Lost Communication With Body Control Module

U0121 Lost Communication with ABS Module

U0001 & U0073 are rather generic, and only confirm there is some sort of CAN bus problem.

Now this after cleaning connectors. No electrics, c/l the lot and still wont start.

Because the car is immobile I am at the point of scrapping if they are not easy DIY repairs as I am at my wits end now!

Do you trust the place that repaired the cluster?  Any warranty on it?

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

Do you trust the place that repaired the cluster?  Any warranty on it?

I got a refund.

• Like 1

Just now, FociDoci said:

I got a refund.

At least you can take it somewhere that knows what they're doing now then! :laugh: 

6 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

At least you can take it somewhere that knows what they're doing now then! :laugh: 

But probably not the cluster anyway

I'm not convinced tbh...  Lots of CAN faults on a Mk2 generally is caused by the cluster.  Presumably there was something wrong with it otherwise you wouldn't have been charged for repair?  Alternatives would be a PCM fault or loom damage, neither or which would be cheap or easy to sort.

• Like 1

I took out the fuse box and there does appear to be some corrosion on some of the pins.

https://ibb.co/tLYwvLB

Could this be it and would you think if I clean it with some wd40 and micro drivers it may fix the issue?

1 hour ago, FociDoci said:

I took out the fuse box and there does appear to be some corrosion on some of the pins.

https://ibb.co/tLYwvLB

Could this be it and would you think if I clean it with some wd40 and micro drivers it may fix the issue?

Don't use WD-40, it's NOT designed for cleaning electrical contacts/connectors.  Use a proper electrical contact cleaner such as this.

• Like 2

I have heard different and at this stage I really couldnt care less.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, FociDoci said:

I have heard different and at this stage I realy couldnt care less.

Do what you want then mate :thumbup:

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Sounds like an electrical arc (spark) caused by a short circuit.  I'd suggest that either the plug is loose/damp/corroded or one of the relays is stuck.  The relays aren't easily replaceable so I'd probably swap the whole GEM for a good used one myself.  It's definitely worth checking the plugs first, unplug and check that all pins are clean and dry.

Where exactly is the GEM module within the fuse box or is it just another name for the actual fuse box itself?

The GEM happens to have fuses in it, it's a lot more than just a simple fuse box inside. :smile:

Can you help me locate it, show a picture etc?

3 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The GEM happens to have fuses in it, it's a lot more than just a simple fuse box inside. :smile:

1 hour ago, FociDoci said:

The whole white plastic thing is the GEM.  It's full of electronics inside, it's not just a simple fusebox like older cars had.

Your picture doesn't work for me but if the pins are corroded that'll be at least part of the problem.  The GEM may also be wet inside if the corrosion is that bad.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The whole white plastic thing is the GEM.  It's full of electronics inside, it's not just a simple fusebox like older cars had.

Your picture doesn't work for me but if the pins are corroded that'll be at least part of the problem.  The GEM may also be wet inside if the corrosion is that bad.

Thanks mate. The connectors that were corroded have since been cleaned and on the radiator it will go before putting back in tomorrow. If thats not it then off to the scrappy she will go!

• Like 2

Gone back in today and its just the same. Flashing is completely different again. Still no central locking, lights etc. Loose connection in the wiring somewhere maybe.

Anyway, it pains me to do it but she will be scrapped this week, that is if theyre still open with lockdown 3.0 up on us?

Won't be needing a car anyway I guess. Sad times indeed!

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club